Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Building Rapport

Building Rapport is such a good thing, but I have found that it only goes as far as the student will allow.

True , maybee the student's past has something to do with that. Regaining trust through simple gestures like assigning responsibility( help w/ handouts etc.) can show them your trust and gives them a sense of value. This will help with rapport.

Hi Timothy,
Some students enter classes looking and acting like whipped dogs. They need encouragement and support to build trust in you the instructor. Once trust is established then rapport can develop. Your suggestions about how to get them involved is a good start to making success happen.
Gary

i find it always makes communication more efficient.

I usually have everyone in the class introduce themselves and it always begins with me. That usually works pretty well. I will also try to identify a talkative student before the first class and ask him/her to introduce themselves first to help break the ice.

Rapport is one of the most important parts of getting thru to the students...it opens the door to their mind, their pysche, and it eventually brings them out of their shells. With the shy student it gives them a trust that, for whatever reason, has eluded them their whole lives and it tells them you won't abandon them at any cost. This doesn't mean you have to become mom & dad, it just means that there is an adult who rspects them and will protect them until they are capable of doing it on their own...but you also have remember that as a teacher, you only have a certain amount of time to do this...never an easy task and you won't win everytime!!

Mac

Hi Mac,
Thank you for those comments. You expressed the need for and method of encouraging rapport very well. An instructor with the respect of students and rapport with them has created a situation that greatly enhances learning.
Gary

Yes, I have found some cultural barriers to rapport building.

Bill

I AGREE, SOME STUDENTS HAVE NEVER BEEN ALLOWED OR BEEN GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXPRESS OR SHOW THEIR HELPFUL SIDE. THEREFORE, BY LETTING THE STUDENT HAVE SOME KIND OF RESPONSIBILITY AND SHOWING THEM THAT YOU TRUST THEM WITH SUCH A TASK GIVES THEM A SENSE OF CONFIDENCE. IT ALSO BUILDS RAPPORT WITH THEIR FELLOW STUDENTS. I FIND IT BUILDS THEIR SELF WORTH AND MOTIVATES THEM TO FURTHER EXPLORE.

Hi Alicia,
Good advice for all instructors. Self confidence is so important for students if they are to continue on the success path.
Gary

When building rapport with your students it always important to remember that to get respect you have to give respect. You should never use intimidation or negative criticism. Daily encouragement and positive criticism are so important to students. You don't need to be their friend but you need to be dependable and caring.

Hi Beverly,
You make a very good point about earning and keeping student respect. Rapport with students leads to respect on both sides. In addition, to making the class sessions go better it also helps with students understanding how respect will work out in the work world. Mutual respect will make work relationships go much better so they can focus on getting the work completed.
Gary

I have found that showing my students that they are important and valued not only to me but to the whole class is worth it weight in gold. I also show them my human side.

Paddy

Hi Paddy,
You touched on a key component of successful teaching, a caring instructor. What are some of the most successful ways you have used to establish rapport with your students?
Gary

Deana,

I have to agree with you. The student has to be open to building up rapport with their instructors. An instructor can only do so much. In the end, it has to be a two-way street in order to work.

I also do the same Jacob. I find that it let's the students see the human side of me, and it helps them loosen up somewhat before the class gets more involved. 9 times out of 10, they see some familiar students they have sharec classes with before. This always sets them at ease.

Sign In to comment