Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping yourself motivated

I dont know how many times I have seen teachers at the beginning of their course start strong but wane off and end a course like it was a burden to them. I myself have been guilty of that as well from time to time.

REFOCUS is an excellent way to keep myself excited about going into a classroom.

Is there any other literature you can recommend specifically for teachers?

Something that has worked for me is to revisit all topics to be discussed along the course and try to create new activities. I will also look for updated or controversial material that will make me and my students a new look for the topic to be discussed. Even when I am doing my class, if I have a new idea to help the students learn about the topic, I will get out a little out of the sketch to put it in practice. That will enhance student's motivation and mine as well. It could be really boring to dictate a class over and over again without updating your own knowledge and find creative ways to teach it.

Hi Lorna,
Great ideas about how to keep your course content fresh. If we as instructors keep fresh the students will reflect our zeal.
Each time I teach a course and try something different I make notes on how to improve it or that it really worked well. Then when I find myself at that same course point a year later I know what I need to do to make that unit go well.
Gary

Lorna,

I agree with your statement as far as updating materials-study guides, exams, projects, discussions.

Complacency sets in when you are repeating instruction of the same course. I find that in changing projects, etc., it keeps me on my toes also for questions and ideas from the students.

This is a way that we can learn from our students consistently. It may be in theory the same exam, project; but the different approach is the key.

Barbara

I completely understand where everyone is coming from. As instructors, we often experience burnout, but it's all in how we handle the situation. When I feel a burnout possibly coming, I ask my DOE if there's a possibility to teach some new courses the following term or add some new dynamics to exisitng courses. It always works, and keeps me energized!

Hi Elisabeth,
Thanks for the good advice on how to keep your personal motivation level up as a teacher. If we remain fresh and excited it will transfer to students.
Gary

Sign In to comment