Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Challenges

Hi
I work with an institute that has monthly enrollment. That means ever month I get new students that I have to incorporate with existing students. One of my biggest challenges is not allowing the students who are just about to graduate, bring down the newer students. All the newer student energy is what I would like to transfer into the existing student. Does anyone have words of wisdom for me?

Hi Karin,
Good question. Could I get a little more information about how the about to graduate students "bring down" the new students? Is it a case of them "hazing" the new students since they are the experienced ones and know their way around the class?
Gary

I don't feel as though it is a case of "hazing", it is more like senioritis. The students who are almost done with the program are just done. They are tired and don't want to be bothered by the newer students, or they find (what they think to be) something wrong with the program and start to get the newer students involved and some how create a craze. I don't always find this in my class but (as a lead instructor) I find it in other classrooms and I don't know how to turn it around.
Thank for your insight.
Karin

Hi Karin,
I don't know if this suggestion will be of help, but one of the things I do with my almost completers in relation to the new students is to call on them to help the new arrivals. They serve in a mentoring role. By doing this I am respecting the knowledge and skills they have acquired and I am letting them "show off" what they have learned. It helps to keep them engaged as they finish up. I realize that some of the near completers have no desire to be of any great help to the new students, but I have been amazed that they will help in little ways. I ask them to help with minor introductions, demonstrations, etc.
Hope this will help.
Gary

Thank you for your suggestion Gary. I do already have the students that are coming closer to their graduation assist the newer students and yes sometime that does help. But other times I still struggle with the bad vibes (so to speak) from student to student. I have noticed a change in a lot of behavors from my students over all since I have put forth some of the ideas that I have obtain while taking this course, which I am greatful for and excited about.
Thank you!!
Karin

Hi Karin,
Glad to hear that you are able to use components in the course. Keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing about other teaching successes you are going to have.
Gary

I also get new students every four weeks and have assigned the senior students to assist the "newbies" with all aspects of orientation, including everything from where the lavoratories are to general advice. We call the advise, "Things I wish I would have known on my first day." The seniors love it and the "newbies" relax knowing that all students started out with the same apprehensions!

Hi Cari,
Great way to team up your students. Both ends of the training group, beginners and vets get to show what they know and expect. This way you can create a balance for both. You are helping move your "unsures" to security and your "sures" get to share what they know. Everybody wins!!!!!!
Gary

I have found that paring the new student with a student that has been around the block a few times is helpful. This way, the returning student can impart their knowledge onto the new student. Having the returning student get excited about the information they have learned and expressing this information to the new student has worked.

Hi D. Preston,
You are on the right track with your pairing. Both ranges of students can benefit from the shared experiences. Also, I am sure this helps them to develop their network of connections for use later in life. Most career development(work changes) result from strong networks and this is a way for the students to develop them.
Gary

Hi Karen,
I share the same dilemma as you with my students.
However, I've learned to take a very direct approach in explaining to new students what is expected of them in school and the real world. I tell my students that they have a choice of believing someone that has succeeded in our profession for over a decade or believing someone that is about to attempt the same feat.

I find this to be very useful in my classroom. One thing I tell the seasoned student is that by helping out the new student, they are, themselves, becoming instructors--and that can be a motivational technique to refresh these students that have been around the block a few times.

Hi Ivan,
Good work on creating an helping environment in your classroom. By engaging all of your students in the process you are creating a learning community that should benefit all.
Gary

I agree with Ivan's technique. The recruiting of senior students to assist the new students assimilate into the class benefits both the novice as well as the expert.

I will offer my suggestions on this matter. I have seen this in my own institution. I try to tell students who are in orientation that the choice is theirs. If you want to have a bad attitude you will. If you want to rise above the nonsense you will. What you tell yourself has a huge impact on your state of well being. I get discouraged when I hear students who are about to graduate, bad talk the school. New students have such a strong energy. I wish I could put all the ecxcitement and power to come to school and make a difference last the whole time they are here. But such as in life, we can indeed control our emotions and we decide how to feel about issues. I feel that we all have a part in how the students respond to new students. My point is that I tell new students that they need to make the chooice that school is for learning. If you cut coners and skip out of class or listen to the drama, students have to decide, do they want to be part of the problem or part of the solution.

Hi Dagger,
Consequences of actions. That is what many students don't want to accept. Also, blame shifting is a big thing as well. "It is not my fault it is because ______(fill in the blank). That well may be true but how are you, the student, going to change it?
Good comments.
Gary

I too have new students every three weeks. I am an instructor in a trk driving school and I encourage graduating students to talk to the new students but not say anything negatively about what they went through. I tell my new students that everyone picks the skills of backing a tractor trailer up at different paces.

I have new student every three ad I encourage the old student to talk to the new one

What I have found that works great is to task the upper classmates with the opportunity to educate the lower class in a chosen subject. This gives the students a sense of empowerment. This directs their energy on helping others instead of making themselves feel better by putting down others. Being part of the same institution means that they will all represent the organization in the world at one point or another. So in stating that they will all represent the institute will help give the upper classmate motivation.

Sign In to comment