Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A safe and enjoyable enviornment

The student must feel comfortable in his or her enviornment. They must feel safe that for what ever the reason they could always turn to their instructor for help. They must feel secure that though the instructor represents authority, the instructor will always be there for them. My director may not have planned this but it worked out this way. His office was and now is the first aid room. Instead of the student having to deal with an authoritative entity that can be perceived as "The principal", he will do what it takes to HELP. Truly the first aid room is a place for a student asking for help. The student leaves such enviornments with a feeling of security in their future. That security allows the student to return to the instructors class with the strength and drive to accomplish their goals.

Hi Anthony,
Having the first aid room in the director's office is a new one to me. You are correct about it being a place of help. From your comments it appears that it works out very well for your shool and your students.
Gary

We are very fortunate that the way the school is set up, no one is hiding anywhere. All management doors are open (only closed when necessary). Students are very comfortable in coming to talk to any of us and we make it a point to visit each classroom every day to either say hi or to involve ourselves in what they are learning that day.

We have found that students appreciate and look forward to someone from management coming in to the class each day and sharing the learning experience with them for even 10 minutes.

Hi Suzanne,
How fortunate you are to have management that is out and about. They are accessible to and for students. I wish other colleges would follow your model. It would make a real difference with their retention rates I am sure.
Gary

By the same token, having a Management Staff behind closed doors is a pathway to Instructor dropouts as well.

Anthony:

This basic need is certainly becoming increasingly important as the world our students are living in is becoming increasing more hostile. Schools must start addressing these issues head on as yours have.

Sign In to comment