Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

WHATS MOST IMPORTANT

I feel that one of the key points to remember to create a comfortable and interactive learning enviroment is that the simple things go a long way , general enthusiasm as well as positive renforcement and feedback on a daily basis keeps the student in the best possible receptive mindset to enable learning at its fullest.

Hi Frank,
Again you are right on target with your comments. Students need to feel that they are respected and be comfortable with the instructor. With both of these factors in place the learning process gets much easier for all concerned.
Good Teaching.
Gary

I liked your comments. I tell my students at the first class session that it is my goal that we learn the material but that we enjoy our time together and have fun while we learn. I tell them that I am there for them and will work with them so that they can be successful. This establishes a verbal committment on my part and then I must make sure that I follow through. I do this my answering questions, answering emails promptly, setting open office hours, being available for one on one conferences. etc... My students quickly learn that they are valued and respected and that we are in this learning envoronment TOGETHER!

I totally agree with you Frank. When students feel it is their classroom and I am there in that classroom to help them as much as i can, they respond much better.

True. Students have to "want" to come to class or the slightest thing will give them a reason to miss class. Making class enjoyable instead of stressful is important. Also, student envolvement in all the ways mentioned will tend to make the student feel that he/she will be missed if they don't show up.
I have had students tell me (after the class is over) that they (some students) would see each other before class and would say to each other..."well I can't wait to see what Mr. Musal is going to get into during class today"...
Which made me feel really good ! They would not think twice about missing some of their other classes.....but they weren't about to miss my class because they felt that something interesting was always going to happen.

Hi Mike,
You make a number of very good points about getting students to want to attend your classes. Teaching revolves around the personality of the instructor and by making the course interesting and exciting you encourage students to be there each time the class meets.
What are some of the things that you do to make your classes challenging and exciting for your students?
Gary

Absolutely! Rewarding students and providing excellent feedback on assignments and in the discussion forums keep students focused and happy within the course.

It all in how you come across. If you are prepared they will be much happier.

I think once you get a student motovated into excepting what the class is all about is probably the most important part of teaching. only then you can move forward with the rest of the course.

Yes I agree. If instructional dimensions have knowledge of the subject, enthusiasm for teaching or for the subject, and sensitivity to, and concern with, class level and progress improves the leraning. Good teaching can promote student development. Moreover, College teaching is multidimensional.

Sign In to comment