Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding learning in a Multicultural classroom

it's i porta tnat when teaching in the multicultural environment that the instructor remain aware of each students needs, and learning styles. Sometimes language can be a barrier to learning and should be taken into consideration when using slang vs. academic language in explaining concepts.

I teach in a multicultural environment at my school. There are many challenges to this, most important of which is the language barrier. Luckily, the books that we use have great on-line resources, and there incluse pronunciation guidelines, and examples. I find that this is a great resource for students not born in the US, and those without the best grasp od English.

Kevin,
Sounds like some great resources are available to your and other faculty members so your can be more effective in your instructional planning and delivery.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think it is very important to understand cultural diversity in the classroom. I work with at least 8-10 different cultures in the classroom at a time which is really normal sometimes more than that. I find it really valuable to take the time and find out reasons behind student behaviors. For example, I teach massage and students are required to disrobe. In some cultures, women where something around the waist to signify purity, it is really important for massage students to make sure they do not expose the cord in class and have to do the back draping higher than normal but they are respecting the person on a cultural level which is different than following the directions of giving a complete massage stroke all the way to the bottom of the spine.

Cynthia,
You make a good point about understanding the different cultures. If students are going to be successful in the workplace they need to learn how to do and practice ways of making clients from different cultures comfortable when providing their services.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

this can be very challenging there are many diversities such as religions economics political views etc that come into place

everyone should be treated the same that was there is no misunderstanding that your goal is to teach and the students are there to learn

I have found that in an online setting, it is more difficult to know if there are multicultural challenges for students. It takes emailing with them and seeing that they are not understanding, to figure it out. Sometimes I can tell by their spelling and grammar. At the point when I know their are multicultural challenges in language, I then call them instead of email so that I can ensure they understand.

Ali,
This is a good strategy to use as it lets the students know that you are there to support them and they can have their questions answered and keep moving forward in the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Helen,
Consistency is essential in teaching. If we are not fair and consistent we will lose control of the class and their respect.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

During my first day of class I try to do a get to gather with my students and talk about their backgrounds and cultures. I think opens up the mind of the other students and make them more respectful about the way the are. Sometimes at the end of the module we bring traditional food and share. It is a fun way to break the ice as well.

Monica,
This is a great way to get everyone settled into the course and feeling comfortable with each other. This sets a tone for the class that says everyone has an opportunity to be successful if they will put forth the needed effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment