Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Retention involving past circumstances

How do you deal with a situation where students have come from two different classes, with two different instructors during a previous term, who have now been joined together into the next term with a common instructor? These students are of various ages, various levels of instructors due different instructors....it is now obvious in class that they are split on instructional levels as well as social levels.

Krista,
I would start the class off by putting the students in learning groups and give each group a case study. Have them spend some time working together to answer the case study. In addition, I would make the effort competitive between groups. I have found that this approach stops the comparing between groups, instructors, and previous classes and gets them focused because each group wants to win the contest. From there it is a building process in the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Krista,

After several failed attempts with various methods, I have discovered that when I apply this quote, it has allowed me to instruct more effectively, Hope this helps.

"Instruction begins when you, the teacher, learn from the learner. Put yourself in his place so that you may understand what he learns and
the way he understands it." (Kierkegaard)

Sign In to comment