Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being Successful in College

What are some ways you can help students to overcome their fear of not being successful in their college work?

As the instructor it is my responsibility to clearly define for the students the goals, objectives and course structure of the class. By clearly discussing the path to the outcomes that students need to present, they understand the process and the means to accomplish what they need in the class. Understanding tends to limit the fear.

As an instructor, I like to do some sort of ice breaker at the beginning of a new course so that I can get to know the students and their goals. I use the information they provide to direct some of my lecture or classroom projects. For example, if many of my students want to be stylists, I will try and relate a business class segment to their desired career. I give the examples of how the course may be helpful in the future.
The ice breaker also allows them to create a bond or familiarity with others interested in similar paths. The bonds can equal study groups and support teams.

I agree Diana, understanding the course objective or expected outcome makes success visible. They can then look for the light at the end of the course.

You can provide examples of student success stories, especially those students who came in at a disadvantage.
Let them know the objectives, goals and assignments. Perhaps you can provide an example of an assignment or project that was completed to standard.

Wendy,
Like the way you open a new course because you are increasing the value of the course to them via the explanation of how their efforts will enhance their success in their careers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Kent,
All of these elements can be good motivators for students as you start off a new course. You are helping them to see they did make a good decision to go on to school and create a future for themselves.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like working in small groups with students it puts them at ease and feel comfortable then 2 students present

Hey everyone, like Wendy does, we do an icebreaker at my organization before every class. We've found that this starts to move them up Cogs Ladder a little more smoothly than just having them show up on day one and start cracking open the texts. We also take a good deal of time on the first two days to go over course objectives, student guides, rubrics, past student testimonials, etc. These steps and a slow start-up, building up to a fairly heavy course load has been effective in letting all of the students build a little bit of confidence right off the bat.

After thoroughly explaining my expectations, the course objectives, and how to study for the course, I begin with activities in which the students will have success. I want the first class to end with everyone feeling confident about their ability to pass. Then each day, I make the assignments a little harder. Few even notice it. As their confidence builds, they are more willing to take on each new challenge. Then I find that success breeds success.

Daniel,
I like this approach myself because it lets them get settled in and learn about their classmates as well as the course requirements. Once settled then you can start the assignment of work and delivery of content and they will be ready for it.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Cynthia,
This is what sequential learning should be about. You are growing through confidence the abilities and knowledge of your students. At the end of the course I would guess they are amazed at how much they have learned in a short period of time.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I provide plenty of small activities and discussions that allow students to be successful in class, even if they are not strong test takers.

Each class that I facilitate has an addendum. The content of the class as well as examples of prior student work (names removed) with their permission is provided to the students. This helps in the area of providing a framework for work to be turned in. The functions served is that current students may use this as a template.

Don,
Great way to show current students what they will be learning and doing by sharing the examples of previous work. This helps them to see what the standard is for the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Small measurements.

I work with students who have failed many times; they have dropped out and have enough motivation to come back, but many drop out again.

We find that many revert to their old defaults when they begin to feel that they aren't successful. This means that they become detached, isolate themselves, and they be come disruptive.

By creating clear goals and small measurements toward those goals, students can assess their progress and receive feedback regularly regarding their success. This way, students are continually seeing how they are progressing, avoiding falling into the trap that has kept them from being successful in the past.

Lindsay,
Like your use of small success steps. The easiest thing to do is fail because failure takes away choices and the requirement that decisions be made. So when they start to slip they drop back to what they know and that is failure. With small success steps they start to move forward and before they know it they have had some major successes and they start to enjoy the results that come with being successful. This effort is not easy but very rewarding. You are doing a good job of helping them to make this progress.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think an Ice breaker allows students to feel free to toot their own horn and tell about real life experiences good or bad

Elizabeth,
Ice breakers are great ways to start off a new course. You are right the students get to talk about themselves and interact with the other students. This gives the class a relaxed feeling and then you can pull them together and start sharing the course requirements.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

We do a lot of activities and games to help students feel at ease and have fun learning. Our students love it and feel it is very helpful in remembering the information they learned.

Sign In to comment