Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students that just don't care

I have at least one student that just doesn't care. He/She just takes up a lot of my time to keep them on task. Any ideas?

Hi Jeremy,
Having had such a student numerous times over I understand your situation clearly. I first have a private talk with the student to learn more about him/her and see where they are coming from. Most of the time the personal attention works in getting them engaged in the class.
If that doesn't work I then let them know that their attitude is not going to be allowed to hurt the learning of other students. I ask that they do not disrupt the class and if they aren't going to be a part of the class at least they can sit quietly. Generally they get bored doing this and start to come back into the class flow and I welcome their participation.
I develop a contract of expectation with the student if the above items don't work. The contract spells out exactly what they are expected to do if they are going to remain in the class. If he/she doesn't shape up I have removed the student from the class. Very rarely though.
If you have any additional questions about this let me know and I will be glad to discuss this more with you.
Gary

I like the idea of learning contracts very much--I wonder if there are samples we could link to here?

I had to sign one of these in an undergraduate class on the first day. The teacher was a bit revolutionary in her approach: she spelled out what was required for each letter grade, and students wrote down what their goal would be. Some students honestly just wanted to pass, and so (as the sheet explained) they did not have to attend a few classes and only had to score passing marks on tests. However, to get a better grade, the sheet gave what test scores were necessary and how many days (not many!) could be missed.

I'm curious what you think of this approach. On the one hand, it strikes me as realistic and empowering for the students. But on the other, I'm worried students will realize, "Ah, so I don't have to do all this stuff after all! Just the bare minimum." Obviously, I'd rather foster an attitude of encouragement, but of course the student's motivation is at least in part his or her own...

Hi Bryan,
Learning contracts work best in the general ed classes. In the career classes they have to meet certain standards as you know so their "just getting by" is not sufficient. They have to develop the competencies needed for career success.
The learning contracts can be set for a minimum level which I set at the 80% or higher level. This sets the bar high but does give some room for the students to work within the 20% range. Other forms of the learning contracts can be for certain types of work or research that a students wants to complete to gain additional knowledge in a selected area.
Gary

Gary & Jeremy,

I am of the opinion that no one sets out to fail. What do you think is really happening with these students? Are they truly not a fit for the educational environment but have been forced into it? Or does our system fail some learners?

Hi Warren,
This is a question that has been asked by many sectors of our society. I think it is a bit of both. Our educational system fails students for a variety of reasons based upon theories and structures that are not workable or valid. Students fail because they learn that failure reduces expectations and requirements. The more you fail the less that is asked of you. Bring the two components together and you have some serious challenges as a post secondary instructor. In my classes I work hard at not letting the students get a way with failure. I make them work at failing because in this age of "entitlement" on the part of many students the college does not owe them anything. They have to earn it.
Gary

I see this quite a bit as well. In an online learning environment it's hard because you don't see the student, talk to them, or know what's going on in their life. You can only email or call and even then it's unlikely you'll really communicate. I'm amazed that some people spend the time and money on classes that they don't intend to complete.

Hi Meggan,
I am to. When I was in school I attended every class even those taught by very poor professors. The reason was that I was paying out of my own pocket my tuition so I was going to get my money's worth. Many start with good intentions but lose their motivation along the way and don't finish. You are doing everything you can do to keep them engaged and you can feel good about that.
Gary

It seems like you spend more time concentrating on the students that don't care then the ones that do care.

Hi Joseph,
This is true so you have to be aware of how you can also spend time with those students that are dedicated and motivated to the cause of learning.
Gary

I like the ideas of contracts and have successfully used them in my classes.

Jeremy,
I direct students to our tutoring department. I personally take them there and introduce them to a tutor. This take away some of the nervousness a student may have with meeting a tutor on their own.

Hi Denise,
Good to hear. I use them as well and have had great success with them. It really helps with students that need to zero in on projects. The contract spells out exactly what they are to do and how they are to do. Reduces confusion and increases accountability.
Gary

I too have two sudents who are constantly slacking off, their attitude is poor, when one of the students recieved her test grade which was low she she just shrugged her shoulders and said "oh well". Her lack of motivation is alarming, what should I do?

I appreciate this because I run into this all the time with my students. They do need to feel like they have to earn it. Too often students hands are held so tight that they become used to it and are eventually coddled and catered to to the point of "entitlement". They then expect things to be handed to them in the same way throughout their academic and even professional lives. Instead of lowering the standards to cater to such students, we need to challange their intellecual abilities so that they can start to think for themselves and work to earn it rather than to eventually be handed "it", which in turn fuels their apathy for the need to have to "earn" anything.

Hi Russell,
Excellent point. They have to earn it and to earn they have to work hard. That is what getting an "education" is all about. When they graduate they will have the skills of the field and know that they can compete with the best of them successfully.
Gary

I find that speaking with the student on break or after class helps. Personal one on one. I first find out where they are coming from, and most of the time they just want attention or they have other personal problems that are really bothering them which caused them to act out in the first place. I also remind them of why they are in school in the first place, and how to get them back on track. Bobbe Bray

I find frequently that students who do not care actually just do not see value in the course. In that case I try to find a way to help them relate the course to their personal intrests creating intrinsic value.

Hi Charles,
"Connecting the dots" for students to create a mental picture of value concerning your course is often needed. If you can help them to see relevancy they will also start to see application to what you are teaching.
Gary

Sign In to comment