Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students of various age groups and experiences

I am an experienced instructor, I have found it difficult to instructs of various age groups and experiences. Some of my students are right out of High School and then you have the 40 year olds. When communicating with them and setting the class rules. I have found my younger students to be more defiant. They do not expect to be held accountable. Also I have students who are already working in the healthcare field but are continuing their education for promotions. with these students, they challenge you on a regular basis and at times gets a little frustrating. What is the best way to work with these different groups?

Hi Patricia,
This is a tough but common problem for instructors. I have had success with mixing the groups. I put the students in learning groups to work on various projects or activities. The mixing of the various age and experience groups help to bring a leveling effect to the class.
By letting the students self select themselves into their peer groups they feed off of each other. Mixing forces them to work with others that are not their peers in terms of age and experience. They hold each other accountable within the groups.
Gary

Hi Gary,
Have you found that it also helps to either mix learning styles within the groups or have similiar learning styles?

Hi Steve,
I like to mix the learning styles in learning groups because the students are able to pull upon their own preferred style while helping others who are not working in their style. Example, a written word learner reads a manual while the tactile learner is preforming the task. They then reverse roles, which has the tactile learner reading the material and the written word learner performing the task. The reason for this is that in the "real world" individuals do not always get to choose how they want to receive information. Even though they may not prefer that method, they have to use it for job success. This mixing method helps them to develop skill sets in other areas of content input.
Gary

I agree with Dr.Gary. The best way to deal with various groups is to provide them with opportunities in class to help each other out. I teach in a career college and in the first week of class I make groups and ask them to provide their contact information to each other. I also emphasize the importance of net working in their field so when they are done with their program, they will have a network in place to utilize.

Hi Raana,
You make a number of good points, this one I want to underline is the one about the network creation. Often students do not realize that they are creating a network for their careers right in class. Once they leave the college setting they never know how they will encounter their fellow classmates again. They may be hiring the or being hired by them. It is always best to work hard to cultivate those relationships.
Gary

The net working piece is an often overlooked piece. I try to help my students realize how small our industry can be when you look at the quick information that is available through personal networks. Once they start to realize this point it is easy to instill in them how reputations and work history can some times beat them to the door of potential employers.

Hi Leslie,
It never ceases to amaze me that students don't seem to realize that they are creating a network for themselves as they go through school. These contacts can and may be of much value for the duration of their careers.
Well said.
Gary

I agree with you. I have the same problem in my class.

we have variuos age group of students who use older & new version of the books. Partimes using the older version get frustrated due different text information.
In order to appease them ,I pair them togather and work with new version.
In this manner they all work harmoniously and keep my work load at even pace.

(students have this situationas our courses are hourly and not by semester.)

I teach in an enviroment with a large age diversity. I know some of my students have a mechanical backgroud and some are starting automotive for the first time. First I let the first timers know they are in the right place. This is where it all begins. The students with a mechanical back ground, I let them know that some of this will be a review, and I also use them as instructors. I also tell them if they don't learn anything I will refund their ignorance.

Hi Mark,
Your last sentence is well put. Sometimes the students forget the reason they are in school in the first place.
Gary

I teach students who vary from 18 years of age to their 50's. Younger students, as a whole, do tend to be more defiant than the older ones; however, I try to keep the class as a whole focused on what they are attempting by enrolling in this school. And too, I find that some of the older students will tend to "parent" the younger ones, which tends to be helpful. The thing that I find that students of all age groups respond to is showing them respect. All too many of them do not get this at home or their workplace.

Hi Glenda,
You hit upon a very good point. Respect goes both ways and is essential if you are going to be successful as an instructor. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Gary

Sign In to comment