Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Overcoming lack of experience to learn complex topics...

My course involves music theory, song writing, lyric construction, MIDI systems, and properties of a great music production.

Most of my incoming students have little or no background in music, so my challenge is to present the entire course on schedule, without leaving any student behind.

What are some techniques I could use to pull up lagging students, while not dragging the others along with repeated lessons on old material?

Hi Gregory,
You might want to try pairing students. Experienced with inexperienced and have them work on projects together.
Pretesting really helps establish a knowledge baseline that will tell you just where your students are. Then you can develop instructional supports to shore up the needed areas and team them with the more experienced students.
Gary

My course involves learning how to back a tractor trailer up to a simulated dock and then how to parallel park this same unit. Some of my students pick this up easily while others just seem to struggle with the tasks.

Hi Robert,
Two factors seem to be in play here with the success of your students in backing and parking a tractor trailer. Experience and spatial relations. Some people seem to see positions, depth and location better than others. I would suggest that you survey your students and see which of the two situations will be coming up as they attempt to part the trailer. By knowing those that have needs for developing their spatial relations you can focus on their needs by pairing them up with another student with experience and have that student help "talk" the student through parking or give them some hints to focus on while attempting the parking.
These suggestions may not be effective due to my understanding of the situation. If you have additional information for me I will be glad to try and help out.
Thanks.
Gary

Robert, that's a huge task.Backing up a trailer can be a tough one, when we address student struggles on tough tasks we look for a simulator. A small truck trailer combo first demonstrated by the instructor in the classroom then given to students for practice might help with the stratagies needed for the real thing. have you considered a small garden tractor and trailer as a stepping stone for training, the size of the tractor trailer might be overwelming for some.

Another instructor and myself are in the process of buying a 1/24 scale size radio controled tractor trailer for those students that struggle. Our budget does not allow the school to purchase any thing like a garden tractor and trailer for usen this type of situtation.

When my studentsre ready for the range maneuvers first we demonstrate the correct way that we would like to see it done. We then walk along side and give instructions as they are doing the
maneuver. How ever some students need extra time
to learn. I have beeen bleessed with having patience with working with difficult studentss.

Sign In to comment