Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

another word that may be acceptable is enabeling, even though to some it is the same as helping. (IE: to enable is to help). However, in my mind is neither helping nor coddling.
enabeling one to do better, is setting them up to win and thus learning from the experience. for example if you as the instructor give the student relavent information associated with the lecture material, and have them put together question and answer assignments. they will in fact help themself much like working a crossword puzzle teaches one new words. the key would be to have the student put together a sampeling of quiz questions that have the same answer but with completely different verbage in regard to How the questions were asked?. what do you think?

Mike,

One objective in the class is preparing the students for the reality of the work force. Due dates are real, and not being prepared at the specified time comes with consequences. In school the consequence is a lower grade (which in most cases can be improved with extra effort), in the field the consequences might be much higher. I believe the students need to be allowed this experience, in order to become more responsible. In my classes I do not usually allow students to retake quizzes. I have made few exceptions to the rule, for students in exceptional circumstances, and for students who have shown significant improvement and needed a little break as a reward.

Coddling had more emotion and motivation behind it, coddling seems to be personal in nature. Coddling probably revolves around an instructor having a personal score with a student either inward or outward. Example, we coddle because we have pity; or we coddle because we can not accept failure.

When we just help, no matter how much we try the will sometimes still fail.

i spend a lot of time watching students that have issues with testing (written) and hands on task.when a student demostrates very good hands on i will spend a lot of extra time with tutoring for written exams.still they must do this on there on no coddling.

Hi David,
Good job. You are providing support without coddling. This is reflective of the world of work that they will enter. They have to have the required skills and knowledge in order to be successful.
Gary

Any advice on how to handle a student who wants to be coddled? For example I had a student once who would complain about not understanding an assignment. As I would explain each point to her, show her how to do the exercise (etc) I felt like I was doing her work for her. When i would take the hard line with her she would complain loudly to the class and distract the other students.

Hi Joanna,
This question is a bit hard to answer with the limited profile given of the student. The key is if the student needed coddling would be to determine what coddling could be given that would satisfy her with a minimum amount of time on you part. Often it is the extra attention that is needed rather than the tutoring effort. I have assigned such students special projects or had them prepare some material for me. Anything to get the engaged in the class in a way that gives them the support they need. I always talk privately to such students so I can get a "read" on where they are coming from. Once I have the "read" then I develop a plan to meet that need. If I can't and they complain or try to disrupt the class I address that directly as well. Sometimes being a bit harsh with them is all that they need to square it a way. No clear cut answer but a feeling your way along type of solution is what is needed.
Gary

I agree totally. As the module says, "[W]hile accomodation of the unique needs of your...students is expected, you cannot compromise the knowledge and skill requirements of your course." My students are just beginning their programs, often after being out of school for many years. My course (Medical Terminology) involves a great deal of information that needs to be memorized, and then regurgitated/utilized on the spot. This is very frustrating to some of the students who have forgotten (or never had) these skills. In addition, some students find that that they simply don't have the level of interest/dedication/ability needed to complete the work required for thir chosen fields. Hence we see a relatively high attrition rate in first quarter students. I actually see this as a good thing. If someone is unable to attain the "knowledge and skills requirements" of the healthcare field, the sooner they learn it, the better. This keeps unqualified people out of the market, and gives them the opportunity to explore other options.

Hi Mark,
Well said. We must maintain the standards and requirements of our field if we are to truly be educating the next generation of successful professionals in our respective fields. To do any less is to be unfair to both our students and our field.
Gary

Sign In to comment