Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Support Systems

For quite a few of our students, the external support sytems they have interfere greatly with their learning. Daycare, lack of understanding, weak management skills, car breakdowns, illness, etc are frustrating. We try to resolve most of these issues in the first couple of weeks they start. We know that "life" comes up and whaps them ever so often, but we are preparing them for the workforce. This is the time to get everything straightened out before they start work.

But where should our line be in the internal support? How far do we go to ensure their success?

I agree they need to get their support in line while in the early stages of school...if not before. I want to explore setting up a partnership of sorts with a daycare center(s) to help those without a support system or means to have this type of service. Has anyone had experience with this? Especially in NJ or PA.

Hi Suzanne,
In answer to your question about internal support and what the limit of it should be, I don't know. So much of the answer will depend on the individual situation. You must always be consistent and fair with each student and after that it depends upon what that person needs in terms of support. I have a student currently in rehab (drinking) and I have put him on "hold" status. Rather than dropping him, which we can do, the hold status lets him know that he can come back to school whenever he wants. He will have to start the course over, so he really is a dropout but this way he knows that he has options once he gets his life together. If he never comes back he has not cost us anything in terms of time or effort, financially there is a loss but he was going to dropout anyway.
I try to deal with students on a case by case basis as I make my decisions about how far I am willing to go.
Gary

Hi Michael,
Good idea about getting things lined up as the students begin their student careers. I try and keep in mind that for many of my students setting up any kind of support system is a new thing for them. Many of them have very limited experiences with child care, transportation, studying, etc. It is easy for them to become overwhelmed. I have a session at the beginning of my intro course where we go over some of these things. During that time I give students different options that maybe they hadn't thought about due to their limited backgrounds. It brings a personal application to a professional setting.
Gary

We cant ever give up even if the student fail.

Hi Luther,
What do you think are some good ways to support students if they start down the failure trail?
Gary

I would try to find the reason the student is failing,Then I would seek others to help the student along the way.

Hi Luther,
What are some of the ways you would go about finding the reason(s) the student is failing. What are some of the others you would use to help this student to succeed?
Gary

I have placement job board in our facility. I also try to give them help on transportation on my convenient. It seem work for most of students just moved from other country. But for student born and live in US they take so much advantaged. Their parent or future boss paid for school expend, their job is show up to school, but...what else should be support..?

Hi Luther & Dr. Meers,

I find that the only way to truly get to the root of a student issue if to have a phone conversation with them as many times as needed. I also contact the student’s academic advisor for guidance and to see if they know anything that I may not know. Thanks, Elisabeth

Sign In to comment