Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you provide personal attention to students who have language barriers?

I find it very difficult to provide instruction to students who have language barriers and would like to know what would be the best way to accomodate them.

I encourage the student with great difficulty understanding English to take a English as a Second Language course at a local community college - it will so help them in getting placed in a career. I encouraged the use of Spanish/English dictionaries or whatever the other language is. But never allow them to fall into the comfort of using only their first language - they need to practice to become comfortable. I would also do tutoring sessions to help them read better and practice their English.

Hi Victoria,
Good approach. As our students complete their training they must be able to communicate and work with customers and clients. In order to do that they must be comfortable with the language. You are providing them with supports and helps that will enable them to be successful. Keep up the good work.
Gary

It is not easy to address students with a different native language that have difficulties with the language being used to instruct the course; however, since communication is so important in a course, you should follow Victoria's recommendation as a last resource to help the student succeed. Unfortunately if the student is not proficient or comfortable with the language being used to instruct the course, the suggestion for having the student seek outside training is appropriate.

Hi Emmanuelle,
It is very difficult to teach students who have language barriers because in most cases they see things in a different way. Therefore, I create groups of 2, 3 or 4 accordance with their ethnicity. Of course, that is when they are doing projects or exercises (hands on). When doing lecture I treat all of them equal. Thanks,
Daniel Ardon

I was met with the same challenges. Believe it or not, I found that assigning homework from a medical terminology text to be very beneficial. Learning a new language in addition to struggling to keep up in class is very frustrating for many new students whose mother language was not English. When terms are broken down into prefixes, word roots and suffixes the student will gain a greater understanding of the language and soon acquire the confidence needed to succeed.

Hi Frances,
Good approach in your instruction. You are tailoring your instructional planning to the needs of your students and it sounds like it is working well for you. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I ENCOURAGE STUDENTS TO PRACTICE THEIR ENGLISH WITH THEIR FELLOW STUDENTS. WHEN THEY HAVE TO GO TO AN ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE TO DISCUSS WHATEVER SITUATION THEY MIGHT BE ENCOUNTERING, I ENCOURAGE THEM TO WRITE DOWN IN ENGLISH WHAT IT IS THEY NEED TO DISCUSS AND I'M AVAILABLE TO TRANSLATE IF NEED BE. I HELP THEM TRANSLATE THEIR ENGLISH STUDY/WORK MATERIALS; SO THAT, THEY CAN ASSOCIATE ONE WITH THE OTHER. I'M ALWAYS AVAILABLE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THEY MIGHT HAVE AND IF I CAN'T ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS, I FIND SOMEONE THAT CAN.

Hi Alicia,
Sounds like you are a great resource for your students. You are providing the support they need to continue to be successful. I am sure at the completion of your course your students will have greatly increased their English proficiency.
What do you see as being the biggest challenge for these students if they are going to continue to be successful?
Gary

I have many students that english is their second language. The fact that I have many, allows me to be able to pair them up with other students that not only speak their language but english as well. I find that it benefits all.

Paddy

I agree these students have to be motivated and provide viable alternatives to their learning experience. The approach to ESOL Class is a great idea many of the community colleges offer ESOL Courses. Most of these students do very well with just a little guidance.

The responses listed are student centric. I have not read an instructor centric answer on how to best instruct students who have english as a second, third or fourth language.

In providing education to non-native english speakers at least four times a year, I try to encorporate clear, succinct, non-slang or colloguialism, in a deliberate delivery. This allow students to hear the words and process them. It also allows for the student to look up the words in a dictionary, either on their computer or in a book with ample time to question words used during a break.

Additionally, knowing who taught the ESOL course will depend upon if it was American English or Queens English and what words they are use to hearing.

There are two sides to language barriers, the delivery and the receiver. Instructors need to be prepared for both sides of the coin.

I've had many students who are ESL. I find that some speak and write English better than natives and have found others that sometimes leverage it to get away from other standards such as research, reading and other activities in class. I think that you have to look genuinely at each person and realize just that...they are a person.

Ask the student what works best for them, how they like to learn and what you can do to assist.

Sign In to comment