Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Defining Intelligence

What is your definition of intelligence in relation to your career area?

My definition of intelligence in relation to my career would be knowing my limitations. I am a dental assistant. Along with knowing all of the aspects of my profession, knowing my limitations is very improtant when in patient care. I try to communicate that with my students. It is ok to say "I am not sure of the correct answer, let me check with the doctor."

Theresa,
Good point and one that we all need to remember. We do not know everything but we do know how to find answers. So we can use our students as well as ourselves to answer those questions for which we don't know when they come up.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I often worked at my uncle's side and was amazed that he would make tools to complete whatever job he was doing. He'd run down to his shop, get the welder and grinders going, and the next thing you know he'd emerge with a tool. I realized then that intelligences come in many different forms. In the classroom, I think of this often. That is, what new tool can I come up with that will complete the job. Wish I could say that I always succeed.

Larry,
This is something that I am really struck by and that is the different forms of intelligence that humans have. Your example of your uncle and his abilities reinforces this fact. I have been researching intelligence assessment for a number of years and can say that I continue to be amazed at how little we know about how humans think.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

That would be to recognize the "big picture". There is more to diagnosing and repairing vehicles than simply becoming skilled at the trade. As is similar with any service industry, customers, associates, business owners, and regulations are all involved. Intelligence can be defined as first being aware that there are many factors, with the repair of the vehicle being key, however certainly not the only goal. Each component has importance in it's own right, and allowing for that, may then combine all of the components to blend together in a seamless, effective, and practical manner.

Robert,
Well said. Bits and pieces all contribute to the complete object. We all need to be able to see the total object as well as the components that contribute to the making of the object. This is what practical and working intelligence is about.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

My definition of intelligence in my field involves critical close reading, and I am always pleasantly surprised when a student comes up with a new reading that is still completely supported by the text. Having a short story that I have felt I've "known" for years transformed by a clever student with a fresh perspective is one of the great joys of my work.

Edward,
The rewards of instructing continue to come long after having a student because of the impact that was made on the life of that student.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In IT, intelligence is the ability to develop understanding of the "flow" of information through the process, and see where a particular symptom might be generated in the "broken" process.

I think the successful IT professional is able to "know" what has to be done under the covers through reasoning and diligence.

I think I did well on IQ tests (my teachers always said I was an under-achiever) mainly with test taking skills.

Another underrated capability is your unconscious mind. I have learned not to make decisions until a night has passed after I have the information, as my unconscious mind will give better answers and the quiet at night allows it to communicate. I wnder how much of reflective thought is really the unconscious mind communicating.

Daniel,
You ask a good question at the end of your comments. I have read a lot of different studies about research conducted on reflective thought and how it impacts our problem solving as well as critical thinking. As a long time researcher in cognitive processing I have learned that we know very little about how the brain functions. I am amazed at how a brain can be traumatically injured and then through healing, medical support, therapy and personal effort reform pathways that enable the person to function again. (I work with TBI patients in another part of my life.).
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As a librarian, to be successful I must draw upon my own understanding of Gardner's multiple intelligences to help students with research and assignments; I must ask them to think critically about what they are doing and enable them to help themselves. One example is teaching students how to conduct web research. Students must learn how to think critically about a website author's intention, among other criteria, to judge whether the site is credible. This draws upon logical/mathematical intelligence, but also requires creativity in order to come up with new search criteria if the first few searches don't work out.

Karen,
Good example of how you can assist them in developing the tools needed to expand their critical thinking skills. They need to develop a personal inquiry method that will help them with their problem solving and critical thinking efforts.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Intelligence for me is very involved. As a personal trainer I need to be able to observe, listen, analyze, reflect, learn, teach, develop, and evolve. These are only some of the things that I need to do for myself never mind being able to communicate openly and know how to read my clients. I find that being able to recognize my abilities (intelligence) and that of my clients/students helps me to be more successful.
I am not sure I defined intelligence but as we are learning in this course it has many definitions.

Miriam,
I think you have done a very good job of defining intelligence because I think we humans have many different ways we display and use our intelligences. Your work as a personal trainer involved functional assessments of your clients in relation to all of the items you listed so you can develop a customized plan that will fit their needs and help them achieve their goals. You are using a wide variety of intelligence components in practical ways when doing this. I wish you continued success in your efforts.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In my career area intelligence would include the ability to restate or reshape some complex body of information into a more easily understandable form. Intelligence would also include a certain level of empathy as well as excellent communication skills.

Working in the medical field one needs to have intelligence. A person has to be able to recognize a situation understand it then act on it in a timely manner. If a person lacks the ability to do these things a person may be injured. Its hard to teach intelligence but it can be done. I believe it's all how a person can percieve things, if you can get them to learn and understand how to assess the problem at hand and how to deal with it then a person can become intelligent on the matter.

Joshua,
You make a good point about perception. Individuals need to hone their perception skills so they can see what is really going on in a situation and seek to resolve the problem. If they cannot see the real problem they will only skim the surface and not really help the patient.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In the medical field the definition of intelligence would include the ability to think critically, be a problem solver and not just know what you are doing but understand it. Many times students try to get through practicing skills and when I ask them the rationale they are unable to explain. It is important in this field that you have a good understanding of why you are performing a certaing test or procedure not just do it "because the doctor said so"

Ariana,
This is so important for students to be able to do. Critical thinking and problem solving is essential in fields where there are a number of different possibilities as well as conclusions and medicine is certainly one of them. So the more you can help your students to develop expertise in both of the areas the easier their transition is going to be into the work world.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment