Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Intelligence is serving the students attending my class, is teaching them how to be successful on their own, is giving them the tools to support their training, is stimulating their interest fo grow beyond the education they receive at school.

I was happy to read the part about the Harvard study by Howard Gardner and that he included a "Body-Kinesthetic Intelligence." As an automotive instructor I've always thought some people have this intelligence, which I always referred to as "mechanical inclination" and some are not particularly adept in this area. Students who possess this intelligence, as well as "Spatial Intelligence" will excel as automobile technicians because there are a lot of confined spaces in an automobile where you are required to operate tools and install fasteners. I've seen many students struggle to remember which direction to rotate a bolt to loosen or tighten it, while others have the ability to reach into tight places at awkward angles and still start bolts by feel, without being able to see the work and without cross threading it. These two intelligences together are particularly important to mastering working on automobiles, especially in this era where automakers are making cars smaller with less space to work.

Sign In to comment