Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

retain cousre content

Doing activities that develop those thinking "outside the box" techniques will help set the stage for curious exploration of the content being delivered.

I agree. Sometimes "out of the box" is difficult for traditional-aged students, though, because they're so close to rote learning and feeling a need (if not a want) to just "please teacher." They want simply formulas to follow, to please us. What we need to do is routinely model "out of the box" thinking ourselves, no matter how hard it is sometimes because our class sessions are short and our goals are many.

Hi Germain,
Good point and one that needs to be reinforced for instructors that are teaching older students. The more modeling we can do and the more opportunities we can provide them with success the greater their retention is going to be.
Gary

Some of the best methods I use to help the students retain the course material, is to have me relate the content with actual experiances I have had in their chosen career fields.The students sit staring at me, minds at the ready and I talk about how you should do or NOT do a certain proceedure and the remifications of not properly following directions, or using the improper tools for the job. I know this way of instructing gives me good results with their learning and material retention.

This might sound a little elementary, but i have always loved SQ3R...survey, question, read, recite, review. When you learn something new and are trying to retain information. This is at least 5 ways to help retain what is being learned.

Hi Chavelle,
I like this method as well. My students have always liked using the process so it works no matter what age they are. Thanks for making it a part of our forum discussion.
Gary

I also like SQ3R. It's still here because it's still effective! Combining it with graphic organizers in note-taking techniques is unbeatable.

Hi Dixie,
Yes, it does. I hope other instructors will consider using such an approach.
Gary

We often have graphics depicting certain diagnostic strategies or steps, I call them hieroglifics and the students get a laugh out of it. The truth is that it realy apeals to the visual learner in all of us.

Hi John,
Sounds like a lot of fun for your students as well as an effective learning tool. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Gary

I have found that one way that helps students retain course material is to show them how to apply it in a real life situation. I will take them to lab and show them step by step.

Yes applying to real life situations does work. Since most of my students are career changers I apply the material to thier new field.You have to paint a picture or explain how the information will be used in a particular trade aplication.

I like to use a "crawl, walk, run" stratagy. I show them, I help them, they show me. This really seems to work with complex mechanical devices, such as rebuilding a transmission. This also helps them understand concepts and theories when they can relate them 'hands on".

the out side the box thinking is what the book can't teach you that's why it's so important for them to grow there thinking skills

I like to use real world scenarios to help the students with their problem solving skills. The scenarios help them to see how the course material will be useful in their careers and this also helps them with retention of course content.

Martin,
I like to use them as well. I agree with you about the value of them and how they help students to retain content and then be able to use it when problem solving.
Gary

Activities encouraging thinking outside the box brings new thoughts and ideas to the floor. If i can get them thinking in new ways they definatly engaged with the class.

NATHAN,
So true. You are helping them to apply their newly acquired knowledge which is essential for success when they are out in the work world. The more opportunities you provide like this the greater their expertise is going to be.
Gary

Sign In to comment