Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Utilization of as many learning modalities as possible helps maximize learning (sight, hearing, tactile, etc.). Changing modalities within thel lesson also keeps students engaged and attentive.

By understanding the brain allows you as an instructor to be cognizant of the abilities and limitations of your students.

I try to do the same. I'm constantly walking around the room to keep the students attention, I ask a lot of questions during lectures to keep them engaged. Whenever time permits, I take them to the lab so they can actually see and touch what I've been talking about.

Ryan,
You are offering both application and relevancy to your students as you deliver the content. This really helps to keep them engaged in the learning process.
Gary

Once understood that learning is an ongoing process a teaching approach can be developed that takes this into account. Students retain a good percentage of what they hear, and what they see. They also retain a large percentage of information when they become tactilely involved. Taking this into account, I construct lessons plans that include lectures and exercise that require hands-on involvement.

I like your approach of, “showing students the practical application, of the course material.” I agree that students are goal oriented and that they are looking for a program that will help them attain their goal. Your approach will keep them interested and help them become successful.

Teaching cannot exist without learning. If educaotrs do not possess at least a rudimentary understanding of how learning occurs, they will be unable to reach their students in a meaningful way, making their efforts pointless. By knowing that episodic memory is an important component in learning for adult students, the educator can adapt his or her lessons to incorporate experiences which may act as a hinge upon which the students can hang their new knowledge.

Not every student is going to benefit from only one type of learning. Some students may comprehend a lecture better than reading the information themselves. Some students may have a hard time comprehending the theory of a skill but when it comes to the hands on, they perform it effortlessly. As adult educators we have to treat our students as individuals not as a whole class. This can be a little more time consuming for the instructor but I think the students will benefit.

Understanding the basics of learning will allow me to better help students in being more able to direct students to a better learning envirnment. I will plan to build more learning based activities and add more time to let students choose their learning activities based on their own learning preferences.

It will allow me to understand the various triggers that will allow long term recall. By using a few common ingredients that all cultures use in international cooking, and then by using a shorter list of specific ingredients specific to Asian cooking I could create a pathway to long term memory on Asian cuisine. The fewer specific ingredients would be easier for semantic learning.

Theodore,
This helps to make "real" what they are learning.
Gary

John,
Good strategy. I think you are going to appreciate how your students will be able to grasp the key concepts and apply them more using this method. I wish you much success with this approach.
Gary

Each student presents a myriad of opportunities in the classroom - this is a collaborative learning environment. Instructors learn as much from their students as they learn from us. Curriculum should be diverse in its presentation and assessment should mirror the many learning styles that exist. Intelligence is multi-faceted as was shown in the work of Howard Gardner - there are some forms which are not as easily assessed as others. I keep this in mind when working with my students - they may need clarification on material because of this.

I include writing assignments, audio seminars, powerpoint presentations, and ask each student to report on experiences they have had that relate to the topics we are discussing. It is my hope that through these methods, I can reach auditory and visual learners, students who have verbal and kinesthetic intelligence, as well as those students who learn best experientially.

Maritza,
You are offering a great variety of learning opportunities to your students. This is so important so they can use the different preferences and intelligences they have and as a result will learn more effectively. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Learning the basics actually helps to resolve many questions regarding the subject in a systematic way.
example: learning to assess lung sounds- once I have listened to normal sounds, I am able to differentiate the abnormal sounds.
Actually Brain has retained the charecteristic of normal lung sounds (as described in theory) so upon listening the sounds it becomes part of permanant learning.:-)

What works for one student may not work for another in terms of how each learns course material. I vary how I present course material to the students. For example, I may assign homework from the text and then reinforce the material with a powerpoint presentation.

Knowing your students. If you know how your students best learn than, you can adapt your teaching methods in that way.

For me it usually takes me about 2-3 days to learn about my students abilities,study habits,past knowledge and how they learn best. I try to incourage my students explore different methods of learn, and watch what works best for that individual. Learning these basics will help to enhance my teaching.

I really like what you are doing. I want every student that I teach to leave class each day with a feeling of having learned something that will benefit them in their career choice. This can only be accomplished with using a variety of instructional methods.

During this course, I learned several new techniques to help each student "get" the material presented. I observe students during my lectures to see if their faces are blank or engaged and I always ask them to repeat an idea in their own words to see if they really understand the concept.

Sign In to comment