Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding the basics of learning can benefit every instructor. This understanding gives instructors an insight into how different students learn and the best ways to approach and teach these students. As we learned, students learn through concrete and abstract thinking. Some students prefer concrete, some abstract. Knowing this, instructors can plan lessons and activities that help the students understand concepts through both methods. For example, in the medical field, a physician may order physical therapy for a patient (concrete). The Physical Therapist devises a plan of various exercises, massage, and stimulation to provide the therapy (abstract).

Julie,
This is a very comprehensive way of looking at your instructional delivery. You are able to offer a sequence of thought in terms of moving from concrete to abstract as the students gain more knowledge and expertise. The end result will be individuals that are able to identify and cope with different situations in terms of problem solving.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree over the last five years, I have changed in so many way. One thing I do in my classes is let the students write down all the things that they enjoy about the class and all the things they dislike and why. I review this information early on and ask again and mid point and towards the end of the semester to see if my adaptations have helped.

Tammy,
This is a great way to bring about course improvement. The more input we have the more accurately we can be in making changes that will make the course even better.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Understanding the basics of learning will help instructors teach a lesson properly with the learner in mind. I would chunk my lectures and allow my students to process the information in small amounts.

Eric,
Good strategy to follow. Carving the content up in to segments helps students to get their minds around what is being taught so they can internalize that information and then get ready for the next course segment. Like answering the age old question of "how do you eat an elephant?" Answer: "One bite at a time."
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have found this to be painful (to my ego) but true.

Tammy,
I think we all have been there at different times during our teaching career.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like to bring a multitude of various teaching methods to the table. I teach a four hour lecture class, so I have to bring a variety of methods into the classroom or they will shut me out after twenty minutes of lecturing on pathology. We play games, incorporate collaborative learning exercises, student teach, etc.. It truly makes a difference in how the students absorb and apply the information.

Dawn,
This is where being a creative instructor comes into play. We need to offer change of pace and variety to our learners. You are doing both with your methods and as a result you have engaged students for the duration of your four hour class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

planning and seeking feedback from other instructors is helpful in developing a successful instructional strategy.

Jason,
This is a great way to bring about instructional improvement. The more input you have the more information you have from which to make choices about your instructional delivery.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Understanding how people learn allows you to tailor teaching methods to foster student success. By understanding how long term or short term memory works you may tailor learning games to help students remember information such as definitions. You can also use this information to give them real world problems so that they can utilize what they have learned in class.

Vanessa,
All of these various aspects of knowledge and skill acquisition contribute to student learning and career growth. This is why we need to learn all we can about the learning process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Just yesterday I was discussing the shift pattern and gear ratios on an 9 speed truck transmission, I compared the changing of ratios and use of multiple gear boxes to the sprockets on a 10 speed bike…something they already knew

David,
Way to go in reducing the fear factor for your students. You took something they knew about it and made application to something they were being taught. I am sure this kept their confidence levels high so they could effective learn about gear boxes and ratios.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Understanding the basics of learning has given me tools to implement more effective strategies to help student retain and use new information.One adaptation of teaching method was making a rap (song)using information the students struggled with.That information is no longer a struggle but a pleasure to recall. Thank you.

Consuala,
The song sounds like a fun way to learn information and it got them engaged. This is what the learning process needs to be about. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

First and foremost our listening skills have to be amped to the highest; especially when beginning any new mode. I have an exercise that I give to each of my students, and one is a an old cliché exercise - drawing a bug with some instruction, and then the other known exercise is drawing a pig which is provided with detailed instruction. With the bug exercise we quickly conclude that we all interpret items differently (with little instruction) then we draw the pig we tend to be on the same page with our drawings -- looking very similar because more detail instructions were provided. I usually open with this to use a ruler to gauge where they are at.

When later in the their first week I visually see my students stressing over Medical terminology, I ask if they were given precise instructions and they ALL agree, but then we get into trying to remember. So I offer visual examples for memory, or creating their own mnemonics as well as flash cards and recalling a story in their life with a health concern involving medical terms. Just as we interpret items differently then we need to find out why. If we are having difficulty in memory recall, we need find out why and resolve it.

For sure...the different types of memory - episodic, semantic, concrete, etc. does work as appropriate to the individual's needs.

Chemo,
This is a great way to reinforce the students and their learning of medical terms. You provide support and strategies at the critical time when they think there is no way they can possibility learn all of the terms being studied. With these memory aides you are able to help them achieve success and move forward in their career development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment