Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching strategies should be adapted to the audience, I like to do a pre test to know the different learning styles of my students (VARK).

By understanding the basics of learning and how the brain functions, I can direct my teaching methods to increase long term memory of information. Student involvement in the lesson ties my teaching into the students' previous experiences to create a connection between my students and the lesson. In addition,I try to show the relevance of the information that I am teaching to their lives and course of study.

Cynthia,
You have two very important components of the learning process working for you with this approach. You are showing application and relevance to your students. When they see these two elements they see a connection to their future and why they are in the course. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Reply to Heather:

It is necessary to understand the basics of learning in order to be able to reach students. If, as instructors, we do not understand how learning occurs and how the brain functions we can not prepare class materials that will reach the students. An example of this might be in a psychology class where the student is faced with an unfamiliar concept. One way that I try to help them understand the concept is by giving them a real life example of where the concept can be applied. I try to use situations that the majority of the students regardless of age will be familiar with.

Sign In to comment