Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Franz,
Great instructional delivery plan. You are using repetition and reinforcement which are two essential components of learning. Thanks for sharing this strategy with us.
Gary

I leant from the difference between concrete perception and abstract perception. i think as a culinary arts intructor I can and should rely on both aspects in my approach of a new ingredient: not only descriptive but ask the students in what they can recall and what they can imagine doing with it.

I like what you say about dismissing a student.only wish that was a option. That not a choice that can be used. Anything else what would work?

When introducing a new recipe, I will have the students recall a the closest experience to it. Knowing that learning happens more effectively when connected to a personal experience, will help me plan lessons.

Understanding how we learn helps me find ways to engage students and assist all kinds of learners.

Hi Herve,
I think you should use both also. By combining both the abstract and concrete the students will have a knowledge base that enables them to use their creativity while cooking with a solid sets of basic culinary arts skills.
Gary

Hi Thomas,
If ouster is not an option then I would use isolation. Put the student in a separate section of the classroom or lab to work on an assignment so he/she can't disturb others. It is a tolerate each other situation but at least you can focus on the other students.
Gary

As an instructor I am always challenged by the students in the class that seem somewhat disconnected. By knowing the learning styles I can now engage the students in other ways, may be by giving a real life example or asking for their understanding of the topic.

Hi Charlin,
So true. The more accurately we can target students' learning preferences the more engaged we can get them.
Gary

Hi David,
Students really like real life examples that support the content they are learning. The more you can use these stories to engage them the more focused the students will be.
Gary

It really helps keep me focussed on the teaching, as to a broad spectrum of learners. I must take a step back that what can be so clear to me, may not be getting through to everyone. I can be so focussed on the content that the teaching methods become secondary.

Learning that we only retain aproximately 25% of what we hear, 40% of what we see and 70% of what we do, I have decided to show more pictures of things my students are learning about in the "hearing" way. Then I will have two catagories of 70% and 75%. I will hit each extremely important topic with hands on and the hearing/seeing mixed way. And to finish it all up I will just mention those topics again (hearing alone) just in case someone might have missed it the first two times due to absence etc.

In relationship to aphasia, I often draw funny little pictures when I talk about different topics and sometimes just make up funny little sayings. That way if a student can't get that word off the tip of his/her tongue I remind them of the picture or saying and that brings it to light.

Hi John,
Good plan and good balance. With this approach you are going to see enhanced learning and more engagement from your students.
Gary

Hi John,
Good for you. This is an effective support tool for those students that have these expression challenges. These cues will help them to find the needed words.
Gary

I think understanding the basics of learning will benefit because it will give instructors the ability to reach their students in different ways. Especially since people processes things differently and when you have a variety of ways to educate students you give everyone the chance to absorb information in the way that is easiest for them. I think an example of when you might adapt instructional strategy or teaching methods would be when you teach different age groups. I had an instructor in college that taught 2 of my classes. In one of my classes the students ranged from 18 to early 20s. He was enthusiastic related experiences of his own children who were same age range that related to what we were learning, but in the other class I took which was an IT class, there were more students who were middle aged and he was more serious and get to the point type of personality. I think instructors adapt all the time to their students abilities!

Hi Chavelle,
Thank you for sharing this example of how instructors adapt their instructional delivery to meet the profile of their students. You are right in your understanding of how this needs to be done. I have found that I do things differently based upon the time of day I teach as well. My evening classes require a much different approach than do my mid-morning classes. So we need to "read" our students and then plan accordingly.
Gary

Understanding the basics of learning benefits me as an instructor because how learners process information depends on how it is communicated. I adapt my instructional strategy depending on the needs of the learners, for example, role playing, reasoning to solve problems and visuals.

For me, most importantly, it provides hard core and factual information about what makes the student "tick." Maybe like others, when a student isn't performing well, I'm inclined to think that the student "has a bad attitude." It's not really a bad attitude - it's about where the student is and where he or she has come from based on their past experiences.

Understanding the basics of learning will help me with individual student needs so lesson plans can be altered when necessary. I am reminded once again that so many factors influence our learning. Certain students have so many obstacles in life that learning can be a challenge. Talking to these students about problem solving not only helps with retention of material, it often also helps them with life issues.

Sign In to comment