Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Bridgett,
Good idea. This way the students would have an idea of how their brains are processing information. They would understand how they need to work on certain aspects of the course content to assist them in retaining it and making it a part of their working memory.
Gary

Hi Ashley,
Learning is a complex and simple mix of getting information/content into our minds so we can do something with it. The distorting and deleting aspects of learning need to be developed so individuals can develop skills in keeping, sorting and storing information/content. By having knowledge of this process you will be a valuable asset to the students to not only help them learn but also retain content since you are aware of how to help them edit and delete what they are being exposed to.
Gary

Hi Linda,
You have a very good understanding of adult learners. Your ability to identify and then work with their learning styles will be very helpful to them because as you say many of them have negative experiences that have led them to developing negative learning styles. Not to mention their lack of study skills. All of these things need to be dealt with while keeping their interest up so they won't drop out. It is what makes teaching so interesting.
Gary

This way i find those students who need help, and spend more time with them one on one

I think it would be fascinating to learn what exactly goes wrong with the "network of small computers) i.e. your brain when the "tip of the tongue phenomenon" occurs. Knowing the answer somewhere inside your head but not being able to specifically recall that information on demand.

Understanding the basics of learning will benefit me as an instructor in that I will be able to adapt my teaching strategies to the different needs of various students. I will be able to adapt my teaching methods in a variety of ways.. and have from my own experience realized how important the use of mneumonics has been in helping students retain information.

Hi Nikki,
This is the challenge for many students. Finding the right word to describe the object or situation. They have stored to work describing the situation or object and have stored the definition of the situation or object. They just can't retrieve them together. This is a form of aphasia which commonly occurs when an individual is under stress. What instructors need to do is to create memory strategies for students so they can see the association between the definition and the object. This helps to create a bridge for the learner.
Gary

This first section of the course substantiates my suspicion that for the information we present in lecture to become truely useful, my students would benefit from abreviated sections of lecture followed by hands-on activities designed to transform the curriculm from a semantic to a episodic experience.

Hi David,
Correct in your assumption. There needs to be an integration of content and application if the students are going to remained engaged in the learning process.
Gary

I find that incorporating analogy that the student can put into relationship with that concern or lesson. IE. talking about presure and flow in an air conditioning system. I will relate the system to a garden hose with running water. By using something they may see or use into an analogy seems to work very well for memory retainment.

Hi Kenny,
You are right about using analogies in your instruction. Simple applications of new information give the students the needed connections between what they are learning and how to retain it.
Gary

I've learned that the most difficult process for me is "listening" well. After working through this module, I've come to the conclusion that I must ratchet up my listening skills another few notches. I need to spend more time encouraging my students to talk - and for me to listen more carefully. Else, how am I to become aware of their individual learning experiences, of their approach to the learning process, of their committment level, that I might match my efforts to their abilities and needs.

Hi Carl,
A key part of teaching is listening but is forgotten by many teachers. Sometimes we think we are hired to only talk but in reality listening is as much of teaching as is talking. Good observation about how to continue on your path of professional development.
Gary

I believe one of the more effective strategies is the attempt to create as many connections to a particular piece of knowledge as possible. When a topic or subject is read about, talked about, questionned, demonstrated, visualized, written about and experienced through a combination of senses (smell, taste, sight, etc) as appropriate it is much mmore likely to be retained than if only approached through one or two means. Reading assignments are great as a beginning, but not as a totality.
At least this works well in culinary arts; not so sure with other topics.

Dr. Meers,

First reading through module-1 brought back many memories both when I was a student, an executive, and as a college instructor (my current occupation). In addition it may have also given me some insight into my own 4 children (ages: 10, 14, 16, and 21) who are still all at some level of formal education.

My current college students range from 19 to around 60 years of age. I have found that although age may play a factor, probably their prior education and life experience has the greatest influence.

If they were all at one level, possibly I could use a single strategy. However, that is not the case, therefore using multiple strategies works best.

The younger students (19 to 30) may have little knowledge of past events that have brought us to where we currently are in history. While those older students who appear to remember, either due to their education or life experiences have stored more information and are better able to draw appropriate conclusions.

Therefore, as an instructor I do not assume that everyone knows how to "ride a bike" (one of my favorite analogies). This just may not have been something they learned or possibly just deleted since it was not important at that point.

Bringing all students into the topic/scenario by asking questions that can be answered either by conducting simple research and/or based on memory, will bring the class to a somewhat equal level.

The goal is to bring their knowledge and experiences and meld them with information and facts that they can relate. This is generally when the "light bulb" turns on.

Jim D

When presenting information to the students, I use as many communication methods and styles as possible. For example, I use open ended questions (the Socratic method modeled after Richard Paul's critical thinking methodology)using various styles of communication. Some students like 'descriptive' information, while others do better with 'bullets' of facts. This allows the students who are at various levels of learning, due to the environmental factors they bring to the classroom, as well as their brain processing of information, to absorb the information through the method of communication that works best for them.

For example, I begin each new topic using the 3R's. Read, Relate, Respond.
First I have them read the material. (Semantic learning) Then,I have them relate what they have read to their real world experience.(Abstract thinking) Finally, I have them respond, demonstrating their ability to evaluate and apply the material by combining their experience with their knowledge. (Blended memory)

As many of you have stated in your replies to this question, this is just the tip of the learning process, isn't it?

Perhaps letting go of our teaching assumptions will allow us to openly explore even more ways people learn to help them overcome their learning assumptions : )

In the digital age of information, it will be interesting to see how the neural pathways of the brain will adapt to process the technological transmission of information, won't it?

Hi William,
You are correct about retention of course content and skill development being higher if the senses can be employed and application seen. All fields can use this method though those that involve tactile effort really help with sensory integration. Culinary arts is an area that requires all of the senses and applications because the preparation of fine food is a multi-sensory experience.
Gary

Hi Jim,
Thank you for the information you gave in this forum response. You have the knowledge and experience needed to offer instruction in a wide variety of ways to appeal to different age and learning groups. With your perspective I know you are meeting the needs of your students while providing them with solid foundations from which they can move to become career successes.
Gary

Hi Margie,
Your last questions puts everything into perspective. Yes, it is going to be very interesting as you get several years of the current generation out into the real world with their technological integrated learning paths. One thing we need to keep in mind is than in 1962 B.F. Skinner developed a teaching machine that was designed to take the human factor out of education. The intent was to replace all teachers with these machines within a few years. Here it is 2009 and we are still here. The human factor is still critical to the learning process but with technology we just aren't sure how much and at what level. Interesting research will be done in the next few years to look at brain processing and neural integration.
Gary

Thank you for refreshing my memory of B.F.Skinner; it has been awhile since I was in college : )

My curiosity is not so much teachers being replaced by machines as it is, how will teachers acknowledge, accept, and incorporate technology into the classroom and their teaching style to accomodate all ages and levels of student learning.

A student who is 28 has little or no fear of computers, hyperlinks, or web browsing, while the older students have a fear of touching the wrong button thinking they will 'break' the computer.

Younger students are used to 'pixelation', fast video games, movies, etc., and can process packets of information, while the older students are more comfortable with the step by step read, write, listen approach.

Older teachers tend to use a linear approach..notes, seminars, and discussions, while the newer teachers post blogs, tweeter, and upload youtube videos to enhance the learning.

The blending of memory between short term and long term into a working memory will need to close the gap in the technological divide in how learning is learned, as you say, learning is a process...a challenge for not only the student, but the teacher as well. What do you think?

Perhaps Module 2 and learning about Multiple Intelligences will shed more light on this for me.

Sign In to comment