Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding the basics of learning would normally help an instructor adapt their teaching methodologies based on how the students actually learn. That being said, because I've had to learn different strategies early on...I currently use a combination of reading, verbal reinforcement and practical application - combining the three ways people learn.

through helping students to retain importnat information needed in class. Through utilizing, a persons short and long term memeory. Adapting teaching methods to hands on , as well as audio, visual.

This will greatly enhance my teaching skills so my students will will be successful in my class due to their increased memory retention. I can utilyze deletion techniques by informing them what is very important to retain and pay attention to. I can also use episodic memory by having them recall a personal event that pertains to the material. I will incorporate audio, visual and tactile techniques through lecture, drawings and demos to further their retention of the class material.

By understanding the basics of how my varied students learn, I am better able to develop my course curriculum for my younger (18 years old) and adult students to maximize the time it takes for the information to run through their filters, And, especially, to make sure that all my students assimilate the essentials of what I need them to learn, and be able to use them in the working world once they finish my course.

Knowing the basics of learning reminds me that students learn differently, and therefore, I need to present material in such a way that I can hit as many learning styles as possible. Knowing that some people are take in information best visually, I create PPTs to go with my lectures and try to incorporate tools like graphic organizers and videos to engage them. I also use audio and record my chats so that they can be downloaded a podcast for my auditory learners. No one learning style is better than an other, so if I don't present material in as many formats as possible, some students will be at a disadvantage.

One of the challenges I would call the MTV generation. The slides of a fast paced music video. The students have acquired a deletion approach.
I think that understanding how learning works may help me to discuss these filters.

Hi Evan,
Well said. Through variety comes opportunity. You are giving your students a wide selection of learning preferences as you share the content with them. This will help to keep them engaged and focused throughout the course.
Gary

Hi Michael,
Good point and one that all of us instructors need to keep in mind as we develop our content and then format it into our instructional delivery.
Gary

I would adapt the learning place to include more visual and tactil learning

Hi Michael,
Good ideas all. What are some strategies you are going to use to expand your instructional delivery method? Thanks for your input on this.
Gary

As instructors, so often the focus of our work and time is on teaching. In reality, the purpose of our students’ education is for them to LEARN. I have often found that students arriving at our school are not well (if at all) aware of learning styles, preferences, or techniques. Education up to that point may have mostly been of a ‘mandatory’ nature, and it can be difficult to make the adjustment toward obtaining an education based upon one’s own choosing. We often find it fun and informative to conduct learning style tests or experiments, with students gaining tremendous insight into their own ability – and preferred ways – to learn. Since my original background was not in education, I have found that my increased understanding of the learning process is helped by how I now break up our material into easier-to-digest (and summarize and practice) modules.

Hi Michelle,
Good testimony to professional growth. You are expanding your ability to reach your students as a result of the educational strategies you have learned and are applying. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I tend to thnk in bullit lists, then I expand on the information as I need to. After reading about different instructional styles, I would like to incorporate more visualization. I would like to help the students use their episodic memory as they memorize the massive amounts of data needed.

Sometimes I get frustrated with students who will ask me a question that just a few moments earlier I had covered. I felt that they were not listening to me earlier. However, I now realize that perhaps "distortion" is the reason they misunderstood what i said rather than them simply not paying attention. Knowing this, I hope, will make me more patient with students.

I have students that I can tell right off the bat that are kinesthetic learners. It's the other styles that catch me off guard. I try to steer them towards theory more than application to get the message across.

The basic to memeory learning is how we as instructors can help our future students.

Understanding the basics of learning will definitely help me as an instructor. For example, knowing that different students have different ways of learning or memorizing information (visual memory, hearing memory, etc.), I will strive to diversify the delivery systems I use in the classroom. I will make sure that in addition to the lecture and required reading, students will also have access to videos or other media (like website), which will bring them the same information.

Understanding the basics of learing have caused me to rethink how I deliver a discussion on a topic, technique, or concept. I like the idea of attaching an episode in a person's life to a learning exercise. This would definitely increase the chances of the person retaining the information. It is almost as if we are establishing ownership or a personal connection to a lesson or concept.

Hi Joe,
Good point and one from which your students will receive much value. They will see the connection between content and their lives at a much greater level because of the personal nature of the applications.
Gary

I have to teach both concrete information (anatomy)and abstract (therapy & assessment) information to my students. The basics of learning can help me use episodic examples to help students with long term retention of concrete information. However, teaching abstract concepts can be a bit challenging because the student has to make his/her own interpretation of concrete information that they have already learned. The analogy of learning as trying to take a sip of water from a firehose is really helpful in that I have to find ways to detour the massive amounts of information that I teach into the students brain.

Sign In to comment