Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do cell phones affect healthcare?

cell phones create a distraction in healthcare

I have worked critical care for 30 years and have found them to be a good tool when they are not abused. I kept many books and charts on my phone and always had a calculator available when I needed it. I also had the important phone numbers for doctors, departments, and staff so that I didn't have to break away from my critical patient to get help or what I needed.

You will always have the people who use their phone for social media and personal use. There needs to be a full understanding of the staff as to what the institution has as policy in regards to cell phones

As with anything in our lives, moderation must be the rule.  It is evident in the news and in your own observations the effect cell phones is having on our health and the care of our health.  Much of our activity is becoming limited by the presence of the cell phone and all it is able to do for us.  For example,  I once had to get up to change the channel on the TV in a time we were being condemed for the amount of time the TV took from our active lives. then came the remote, which I still had to get up and look for till my children came along,( thank God). now. I can watch everything and more from the comfort of where I chose to be and not move, I can app my phone to run the stereo, tv, the A/C, heat, lights in the house,  it just wont go to the store, nor clean me up after the day is thru. I can use it appropriately tho, and use the ear buds and run trails, tread maching most any physical exercise I want.  but once again,, used wrongly and ear buds while riding a bike will result in a trip to the ER or Morgue. there is also the critical thinking and even analitical thinking skills that is being deminished dailey as well. If we do not meter the use, we cannot control the loss.  One day we will be in therapy to relearn everything it takes to function from day to day,,, exagerated of course, or is it?

I teach in the automotive feild, but think the problem would be the same in all class rooms. My students have become so attached to their phones that it is a normal thing for them to simply start to use their use there phone at anytime. You have to keep their attention and keep them bussy, or else they start back with their emails, texting, or looking things up on line. This has become the norm in this day and time  . Keeping them involed helps keep their mind off the phone. It is said that they want to stay in contact with their family and freinds, but I think it is simply something for them to do to. Keeping their minds on learning is a hard task that we as teachers, instructors, and the like must try and do.

This is a challange no matter what you teach.   Most Students lives are ran by their phone. I just remind my student that they do have a break ever so often and ask them to refrain from texting during class unless in emergent situation and even then they would need to step out the class to prevent disruption.

Sign In to comment