Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Old Dog, New Tricks

I am not trying to come across as condescending but I have instructors with 20 and 30 years of experience who believe the their formula is the best way.

What advice or methods would you offer to help a teacher understand that their are methods and approach can be improved?

we use metrics such as drops, incompletes, failed an exam, failed the class, etc. to understand where improvements are needed but the majority of the time the instructor takes a hands-off stance claiming that it is not their fault.

i have a belief that if you think you followed instructions or a policy and procedure to the fullest and were not able to get the required outcome then you could have done something differently and the issue lies with the instructor.

instructirs are sometime quick to say that they are being blamed for a student not passing, but in most cases if the student shows up and participated Edie silly in a skills-based training program like our medical assistant program they should pass.

My question and concern may be loaded and I have several challenges here, man but any feedback you can provide us greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

Dominic 

Teachers wear many hats.  Lecturer, mentor, evaluator, trainer, coach as both deconstructor/constructor, curriculum creator are among the mini-roles.  Each role is frought with a degree of interdisciplinary drama.   Everyone thinks their way is best.  And, for the most part they are right.  The reason is tied to the idea of academic freedom, which in essence is free speech for academics.  The method that works best is the one the faculty member is able to use the best.  Why?  Because an attempt to use someone else's method can feel awkward at best, unauthentic at worst.  So, we naturally use what works for us, whether it is 'the' best way or not.

That said, yes, the student populous is not the same as a generation ago, and sometimes not in a good way.  This means that mature teachers may not fully appreciate the special challenges of today's younger students.  Thus, they need to be given the data on what makes today's learners challenging.  An example might be the evolution of the brain to accommodate the television/YouTube mentality of 5 minutes worth of information, whereas in previous generations, a person could handle 30 minutes before tuning out. 

One advantage of mature experience is to be able to distinguish between when one is being a rescuer vs a coach.  What does that mean?  A rescuer is quick to save someone from failing.   A coach guides them to passing.   The critical difference lies in the way the student emerges from the experience.  If they are rescued, they are not empowered and become dependent on being 'passed' by the faculty.  If they are coached, it was their own effort that empowered them to succeed.   The second method can make a huge difference in a person's life as they learn that what they do makes a difference.  Sometimes younger faculty, anxious to be friendly and helpful, don't recognize that being a rescuer robs the learner's empowerment and sense of accomplishment.  Naturally, all faculty have a moral obligation to provide an example of what great effort looks like to their students.

BTW: If faculty are being generally blamed for students not passing, that suggests more of a systemic issue than an individual faculty issue.  If it is just one faculty member and even good students are not passing, that suggests a need to sit down and show them the data and ask them 'What do you think we need to do to improve this?'.   That relays two messages: 1) Improvement is needed 2) If it cannot be improved, we will not give up looking for alternative solutions.  

Hi Mike,

I realized how many typos my posting had as I reviewed both my posting and your response. I truly appreciate your feedback as I will use this coupled with the information and knowledge I gained from the course.

There are several other issues I have with an instructor who is so hung up on discipline and control that the weaker students or those who may not have great social skills file complaints against him that he is picking on them or they may say that, 'he's doing too much' or 'its not that serious.' These are comments from a younger set of students who may lack discipline, did not make it through high school or didn't have the right guidance during their formative or even teenage years.

I am looking for ways to help this instructor understand that there are times with a particular student in a class of 15-20, that I may not call the student's shortcomings out in front of the class or try to reprimand or discipline in front of others. I would speak with the student during a break or after class. The student may also feel that they are being picked on, but this particular type of student is challenging to have in any class. 

Is there an opportunity to hear a discussion or webinar on dealing with and disciplining challenging students?

Would you be available to speak?

i understand that email addresses and titles with school names should not be left in the discussuons but I would like to get more feedback from you.

Thanks again.

Dominic

Dominic,

Most teachers are not trained as professional counselors, thus legally can't 'counsel'.  But sometimes we walk a fine line between providing counseling and classroom discipline.   What I find can be helpful, is to do as you have indicated and ask to speak to the student after class for a few minutes in a manner that is as non confrontational as possible.   Something like " Hey John, perhaps I can get your thoughts on something after class."

Let him do the talking, starting with you asking: "Any idea why I wanted to catch up with you?"   Of course the hope is that the student kind of knows things are headed in the wrong direction and will bring it up without prodding.

And then something like "Thanks for sharing that.  And yes, if you could work on that I am sure everyone would benefit.  But also I need your help.  You seem smart enough and there are students in the class that need some help, maybe not a lot, but just to get them past  difficult concepts.  Would you be willing to help someone who might be struggling?"  (nevermind that 'John' is one of the ones who is struggling)

The hope is that the conversation turns from 'John' being a victimized struggling student to taking on the role of a mentor/helper.  And of course, mentors need to set a good example.  Mentors also get to see the class a little more from the perspective of the teacher.  Instead of being the 'problem' he becomes a solution.  Note: it is easy to see this as a form of manipulation, but it cannot be that.  You would have to genuinely need the student's help for a specific situation.  It has to be real. So, think that through before approaching him.  You would probably also need to talk to a couple of students about having an in class mentor.

Hope that helps.  And yes, we could speak sometime, though it might be good to get through the holidays first. 

Sign In to comment