Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Learning & Assessment

I learned their are different styles the way students learn information.  As a librarian, I will use the ones best suited to help students reach their full potential.    

Every student has there own learning styles, it is inportant you know your class

The students give you clues to their learning styles even when they are passively learning.  The ones that fidget need to get up and and do something regarding the learning.  The talkers need to be able to engage verbally about the lecture.  My classes are nursing classes so I like to make the class assess the learning needs of their classmates in terms of nursing diagnoses. They end up feeling like they are appreciated and supported.

Speaking of the fidgeters Carolyn...

I recently used this exercise with great success. I had a short amount of time (not enough for a full lab) but I wanted active learning and teamwork. I took a process and put each step on an individual sheet of paper, folded to hide what was written. I then gave each page to a different person and told them not to peek until I said go. I then used a stopwatch to time how long it took them to organize themselves until they were standing in a line holeding each step of the process for the class to see, in the correct order.

We did this a couple of times, and the competition definitely got their juices flowing!

It is important to know your class and how they learn so you can help them the best to suit them.

Reply to Clinton Reasnor's post:Agreed.  I'm not sure that my students would do the work at home to be able to actually implement this.

Sign In to comment