Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Flipping The Classroom

I would absolutely LOVE to teach in a "flipped classroom' forum. I devoured this topic and read whatever I can outside Maxknowledge on the subject.  I teach science subjects in a Dental Hygiene College where the students are required to pass written boards at the end of the program.  I am interested in ways to initiate less in-class lecture however these students need to know factual information in order to pass boards. How would one test on a major amount of factual knowledge?   Also, I have noticed that some students are intimidated to actively join in the group and the same 'outgoing' students wind up with most of the input for the in-class project. 

The flipped classroom concept is great but it does require a lot of thought. In teaching practical nurses, we have the same challenge: make sure the content needed for licensure is covered. When students prepare ahead of class, you can present group learning activites for the more difficult subjects, assuming they have covered some  content when they prepared for the class.  It puts the responsibility on the studnets, however the bonus for them is a more challenging classroom environment. Using case studies of a difficult problem or learning need helps the student recall what they read, and effectively apply it to a pateint situation. Group work also works well for quiet students, they are more likely comfortable when working in small groups. 

Sign In to comment