Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Educating Lab students

I have found that reviewing the course objective with the students before teaching a new protocal of the scan we are about to start learning in lab is very helpful. Before the students begin practicing the new exam I scan and review how to obtain the requested images, reinforment and continous practice of protocal is the key to ultrasound lab for my students.

Hello,

I find that students benefit from seeing how an instructor completes lab exercises. For example, showing lab exercises on the screen helps students see the process, ask questions about it, go back if necessary and then follow the process on their own. I teach Networking/IT courses.

Svetlana

Natalie,

Stating the learning objectives for the day or for a topic help setup appropriate expectations with the students.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Svetlana,

Students do retain more information from demonstrations than lectures. When doing the hands-on they retain even more.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I have tried different methods from , white board diagrams, video, and instructor demo. I feel the instructor demo is by far the best for our application.

Dave,

Try groups where students are researching the lesson or the task. These are all good examples of instructor led activities. Add something that is more student led or student centered.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I also go over the objectives with the students. I've found that this combined with demonstrations, films, and tying lab in with lecture is very helpful in increasing positive student learning outcomes.

we also make indepth study guides that revolve around what is done in the lab,have them bring the study guide in the lab and pay attention to what they are doing to come up with the answers.explain in detail the pros and cons of how they assemble the components on the study guide.it has improved the test scores,with good feed back from the students

Sidney,

Thank you for your post. Besides higher test scores have you seen better student outcomes in the lab?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Yes,do to more detail in the learning process.the students get more out of it,more info than we can give or remember to give during a lecture,better questions from the students always comes up in the lab.

Prior to beginning any lab tasks,I take the time to explain the purpose of the tasks ,other wise the students just robot through the tasks without learning any thing.

Wilfred,

You could also stop students in the middle of a task and ask them why they are doing what they are doing. This can help reinforce your explanations and check for their understanding.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Sign In to comment