Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Questions?

I have found that many times the students hesitate to ask questions because they do not want to sound "stupid". They want the answer, but hope that some else will ask the same or similar question. I tell them that the only "stupid" question is the one that they do not ask.

Frank,

This is another great reason to encourage class discussions. Only few students ask questions that many may be contemplating. As teachers, we need to be aware that we are not just responding to one student but to the entire class. We can probe further by extending the same questions to other students to respond and this is when we may find out that many students were not clear on the topic. I encourage all students to ask whatever questions they may have and I let them know that others may have the same question as well.

Judy Mohammed

I agree Frank....we all have the same problem getting some students to open up. I find that if I can get a few to answer questions ( even when incorrect) and praise their participation others tend to "get with the program" and offer answers as well.

Guy,

This is a good way. You can also try talking to them during breaks about their interests and develop rappoirt with them.

Judy Mohammed

i have found that the best way to help students overcome this is by training them how to ask questions. many times students feel like they have a question but aren't sure how to ask it. this is an opportunity to help them learn how to ask and how to identify the right question. that in turn will teach them how to ask questions that do not make them feel inadequate

Curran,

My trick is that I respond with questions, and another one, and another one, and so forth. I endeaavor to guide students to the answer by involving their critical thinking skills. I let them know, at the beginning, that they may know more than they realize. They enjoy the "Aha" moments, which helps to build confidence in the class.

Judy Mohammed

some students don't feel comfortable speaking in front of the class, I'll tell the class that if anyone wants to stay after class, or come in early to let me know, some will, and once they ask questions without the whole class there, it sometimes boosts their self confidence, and they'll participate more with the class

Michael,

This is very true and I often speak with the quiet students out of class to get a conversation started that can then come into the classroom.

Judy Mohammed

Sign In to comment