Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student's with Learning Disabilities

My institution provides all students' with learning disabilities an acommodation plan, when requested, to help them succeed. I am always in tune with my students, and offer tutoring to all, with or without special needs.

I agree by offering tutoring to all students with greater needs may become aquianted with more successful students who may be willing to provide additional support outside of the formal school arena. Also by working with others the more successful learners in turn learn by the need to think through problems posed by the students they are helping.

Stephen,
and when we demonstrate that openness & willingness to help to all of our students, those who are struggling are more likely to seek further help.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Providing your students with an accomodation plan is great. The school that I work for does not do that. They have access to outside resources that can work with the student if the student is willing to get the help. We do allow for interpreters to come in for students who have a hearing disability, but not for students who have a language barrier. Offering tutoring to your students is a great way to help and understand what disabilities they may have.

Angelia,
yes, there are many ways to help our students even if the "big" resources are not immediately available.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have found that meetimg with the student at study hall sessions provides additional reinforcement on class materials.

Mark,
I think this is a great strategy. It provides that extra help/attention & shows the student that we do really care about his/her success.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment