Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

life experience and work related examples in the classroom

in all of my years experience I can think of no better way to learn that by example. hearing stories from instructos in the past and now relating as an instructor myself makes me realize how well this relationship helps on a situation to situation experience

Greetings Candis!

Learning by example has been such a great instructor! Not only do we lead by example, but the real life experiences that are shared in a classroom environment can mean the difference between learning a concept or not learning.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

I agree. I try to find ways of connecting experiences students have had with what we are teaching. I enjoy seeing when they grasp the concepts and how it can benefit them.

When lecturing on certain chapters, I always interact with the student, about sharing their experience with different topics.

I like to tell stories. I tell them that I don't tell stories to just talk - usually there is something to learn from it. They may encounter the same thing in the field, and the story may help them to know what is going on.

Greetings June!

Experience is the best teaching and having students to share those experiences enhances their own learning. It also helps those less experienced students have a better understanding of the work place.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

Life experience makes you a content expert. Life experience also makes one humble and able to answer the questions that students often have that can't be found in a textbook. As an instructor it makes you relatable, entertaining and worth coming to class to enrich the experience of learning.

yes. connecting to life experiences is very beneficial. Students get a better understanding of the material and store it away as long term memory instead of short term for a quix/exam

Hi Mary!

It changes concept to reality and that's what educational experiences should provide students. They are better prepared for the work place.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

I so agree! Attaching a real-life example to a concept, finally makes that new info relatable to students. Helps them truly "get it!"

It's like connect the dots - people can relate your experience to what they are working towards. Or even like a magnet..when I read books by certain authors they have that special something in their stories that pull you in and make you want to read more (or learn more)!

I also agree with this teory because every new module I start I speak of my life experiences and how this career has benefitted me, and I also go around the class and let each student do the sme and explain to me why they are taking this course and what they expect to receive from me.

it has always been a practice of mine to share experiences and hear others

I give the student examples of situation in the real world. For example, a nurse was fire because she/him did not follow the HIPPA rules.

Building some information about your experience with anecdotal examples helps students connect with you and their attention span increases.

Sign In to comment