Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Formal vs. Informal groups

I had never really paid attention to the fact that there are two types of groups. I have always thought that group work was group work. I have also realized during this section of the course that my groups are often too small (2-3 students) and this may be contributing to my ineffectiveness. I am going to work on this for future classes.

Kiofa,
great awareness & it is helpful to recognize the different types of groups & their purposes.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have found that by observing my students' informal groups, I am able to more effectively place them into formal groups by mixing them with students with whom they rarely interact. This often results in the students having a fresh take on their participation within the group.

Brian,
this is a great point & a good lesson. Observing them during the unstructured helps us make better decisions for the structured times.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have found much diversity in my informal groups. I like to mix them up because of how they work differently together. They have definately learned from each other.

Deborah,
this is a great plus to groups as they learn to appreciate the different ways people approach the same problem.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I typically teach classes of 6-10 students in a lab environment. Informal grouping allows some students to step up and shine with their knowledge, while others learn when they would not have asked the instructor.

Sign In to comment