Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Groups

Learning Group provides fun learning activities for students of all ages. This gives them a chance to bond and bounce ideas off of each other. Learning groups also help students who are shy to participate and be part of the spot light.

I agree that the point made about students having little to no experience with group work which is an essential element in a well-rounded curriculum.

The field requires the goals of group learning: Discussion, Active Listening, Giving and Receiving Criticism, and most of all Managing Disagreements. This is important learning regardless of major or field of study.

Marina,
you are definitely right that these skills are in high demand regardless of the career field.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I find that students learn well from each other. The students that are understanding the material benefit from helping the other students and the students that are slower learners benefit from getting the material from the good students unique point of view (is usually put in a more relatable point of view to that student).

Andy,
yes often the students can actually learn more from each other than they do from us.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I too like having my students work together in groups especially since in the real world my students will have to be working as a team on a daily basis. I usually use informal groups of 4-5 students and I either have them count off by ones and twos or just divide the class room in half. I try to change it up so they get to work different individuals with every group assignment.

Sign In to comment