Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teamwork

Teamwork can really help by engaging weak students

Team work is something students will need in the real work environment- so the experience is essential.

Nearly every workplace environment and nearly every position require some type of teamwork. Teamwork is the crucial element in workforce cohesiveness. It definately enhance a company's profit potential and help with satisfied customers.

I have found that the student I thought was weak, wasn't. She was simply quiet. I had been worried about her for nothing. Thanks to the teamwork approach I found out more about my students.

Teamwork also helps students that might be a little slower at grasping topics.

teamwork is helpful to all students if the level of student participation and knowledge has been balanced.

True providing the weak students are willing to participate in the team activities

I tend to agree if we as instructors establish an outline as the Module indicated and some specific parameters for how each team member should contribute in some way. I think it also helps the higher skilled students learn that when they hit the real/work world they will need to learn how to effectively work in group settings and exchange ideas in a positive, constructive way.

I've found that one problem with working as a team or a group is that sometimes the weaker students will use it as an opportunity to not participate in the task.

That is why it is imperative that each of the students have an equal task. The others will rely on the weaker student and encouraget them to participate.

Hello Jerry,
I agree. It has been my experience that if the team is not cohesive production and the overall culture and moral suffers greatly.

Students should learn to work with diverse groups so they can succeed in the work environment.

Very true. I think teamwork is one of the most valuable skills that someone holds. People can learn it from a variety of sources (sports, clubs, church, etc.), but the fact is that many don't have those experiences. To be successful, students must learn how to work with all people (different ethnicities, religions, etc.) in order to be successful.

Corporations realize the importace of teamwork and invest quite a bit of money to teach teamwork to employees. Teamwork also helps companies be successful.

As a result, students should have the opportunity to develop or foster the teamwork skills. Instructors must orchestrate or facilitate that.

Greetings Robert!

What a great observation.

I facilitate learning for business education in a career college environment. I am using a tool developed by the State of VA in collaboration with workforce development called Workplace Readiness Skills as a result of employers not being able to get employees with soft skills i.e. teamwork. The employers say they want someone who can not only do the technical portion of the job but who can fit into the culture of the organization.

You are absolutely correct - teamwork is important for corporate and individual successes.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

I agree to an limited extent. From my experience I have noticed students working in teams benefit from learning together as group. It is the instructors responsibility to monitor each individual to be sure they are participating in the assigned tasks and not just watching their team mates work.

Sign In to comment