Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Movement

I tend to use the white board a lot so I find it hard to move around the classroom. I think too much movement can be a distraction to students. I agree that movement is important and can be utilized while remaining in a position of front and center.

Angela ,
you have to accommodate for your style & your environment. You definitely don't want to be a pacer, but periodic movement is a good idea to help the students with attention & focus.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I also tend to use the whiteboard quite a bit, but I also move around the room. It gives me the opportunity to check with each student to see how they're doing and give them the chance to ask questions. My students have expressed that they like this and they feel more comfortable and willing to ask things and participate in activities and discussions.

During discussions and lectures movement is definitely a way to check focus and keep students interested. Once they are working on something I think movement can be counterproductive, as it distracts them and makes them nervous as you stand over them and look at what they are doing.

I will make periodic trips around the classroom when they are working independently, but I make sure to make them quick and not to stand over someone and make them nervous.

Todd,
This is a good & important point. We have to make sure we are using movement appropriately & effectively to help our students.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

When I move around the room. I tend to choose a student to explain what they maybe thinking or ask if they understand what we just learned. Some student are afraid to speak up if they don't undeterstand. That's a good time to rephase your statement. This way they may understand it better.

Sign In to comment