Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Body language

Body language, speech, tone of voice, etc. all play a part in how well students receive subject matter information. As instructors, we must always be aware of these things, including our moods.

Donald,
we definitely need to be aware of all forms of our communication: verbal, nonverbal, listening & written.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree I can't believe how your body language can send a total different message. Also be open and willing to change if needed.

I believe that our students feed from the vibes that we bring into our clasroom. Whether they be negative or positive. We need to be at our best everytime that we enter the classroom.

Carolyn,
I would competely agree with you. I remember being conscious of teachers' moods even in elementary school & I've tried to remember that as an instructor now.

Dr. Ryan Meers

When I explain a complex environmental process, I will step-by-step move across the front of the room to emphasize that the process is occurring before their eyes and the students can visualize the incremental flow of information by my body language.

Thomas,
this is a great way to use your body movement to help them remember the concepts.

Dr. Ryan Meers

This is an area that i must work on. students can tell when you are having a bad day or a good one without you talking by looking at your body language.

Latasha,
our nonverbals which include tone, body language, etc speak volumes about our moods & mindset. We must be aware of that for sure.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Yes, I agree. I try to be aware of not folding my arms in front of myself when a student is asking a question because it may give off a non-verbal que of my being defensive or not engaged in their contribution.

Julia,
non verbals are so important & also very difficult to manage at times as they are so rooted in our habits & our personalities.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I also feel that body language, eye contact, and tone of voice expresses to the student instructor confidence in what they are teaching.

Donna ,
you are exactly right; in fact these elements are what most communicates that confidence.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I really liked your views on body language. I have found that body language means different things to different students,sometimes it gives them the wrong message. I found that just making different facial expressions can send the wrong message. Also i have learned students some times just want somebody to listen. Letting them know they are heard shows your respect for them , and that you really care.

james,
listening is a crucial part of our classroom communicatin & in assuring our students that we care about them & want to help them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment