Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communicating Effectively with Students

Communicating effectively in this day and age of technology can sometimes be tricky.

Nagib,
You are so right about this. It is definitely up to us to know our students & how to most effectively communicate with them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I find that good old fashioned conversation with eye contact works best. I understand that technology is a main stay but it is ever changing. Talking face to face has been around for thousands of years and it still works. You never hear "I never got that email or text" when you talk to an individual face to face. In the culinary industry there is plenty of technology but conversation between people is the engine that makes the operation run smoothly. The students need to learn that no matter their age.

Stephen,
I agree that nothing can or ever will replace face to face communication, it really is the best way to gain clarity & understanding.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I use real life examples for my students by applying concepts to their experiences and goals. For example, one student wants to open a restaurant, in accounting class, I explain some of the accounting entries relevant to a restaurant owner. With technology, my first day lecture includes how to use your phone/iPad/laptop effectively in class.

James,
these are all great ways to engage the students with the material as well as to demonstrate the real life applications of the information.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment