Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Speaking too quickly

I have a tendancy to get excited in my class when I am teaching and I start talking very fast. I inform my students before class starts that if I do that to let me know. I find my teaching fun and enjoyable and don't always realize how quickly I talk until someone lets me know. By getting the students to let me know it not only helps me, but it helps them because I know they are paying attention in class.

I too get excited and suffer from the tendency to speed up my words. I also warn students that this is sometimes a problem of mine. Recently I have placed a small piece of paper on the podium that reads, "slower." As a result I have paid much closer attention not to just what I'm saying but also at what pace I'm saying it. I remind myself to repeat information at a slower clip, and I believe it's helping students better understand the material.

Hi Marc!

Great job! To be able to evaluate one's self and then make a change can be difficult. But I admire that quality in an instructor.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

Not only do I sometimes speak quickly, I can also speak loud. I like your idea of putting a note to remind myself of what I would like to work on.

I warn my students on the first day of class that I get excited and talk too fast. I let them know all they have to do is ask me to slow down and I will not be offended.

I tend to do the same thing. I am a fast talker in general, so I ask that my students remind me to slow down or repeat information if I start speeding up. The other thing that I have found to be helpful is Highlighting parts of my lecture that are main topics. I tend to repeat these areas and they serve as a time for me to slow down the lecture.

I also warn students about my enthusiasm and tendency to speed up when I get excited. I encourage them to give me a nonverbal signal (raising their hands) if I start going too fast...that way they don't have to say anything...just signal that I need to slow down.

Not only am I speaking as fast as I would like to hear someone speak, but I tend to rush through the lesson plan without pausing between ideas or sections. At first this was to keep the attention focused (like for children at a party!), but the adult learners actually need the time for 'hitting the save button' on their brains and finishing notes, as well as formulating questions. Pauses and silence can be a good thing - nothing to be ashamed of or disappointed in!

Hi Jason!

You are so right! Adult learners do need the time to assimilate and file information. Adult worlds are very busy and has a massive amount of info coming at them daily.

I like "hitting the save button"!

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

Marc,
I like how you are open and honest with your students about your tendency to speed up your words. You are creating relationships and engagement because of it; essential for learning. Finally, by putting something on the podium to slow yourself down you are taking constructive steps to consciously be aware of your tendency. All teachers should do the same for their tendencies that may inhibit learning.

Hi Ronald!

It's difficult to evaluate one's self but when we do there are great outcomes - personal satification and in an instructor's case - student success.

Great comments!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

I find that I have the tendency to speak fast. I warn students about this and tell them to slow me down if need be. I also make it a point to pause at the end of each slide and ask if there are any questions or if everyone understands. This way I can allow students to feel comfortable telling me "you went to fast can you clarify".

I had a great "learning" experience as an instructor teaching many english as a second language students. I had a student ask me to clarify some words in his notes that I had used in lecture. My students notes looked liked jibberish and nonsense until I realized he had written the notes with the words strung together without pause... It was then that I realized I should slow down and ensure each word was individually audible and distinguishable from the next : )

It was a great learning experience for me : )

English is my second "tongue" so I make it slow when I talk and ask my group if I'm getting fast. Another way for me to pace my words is to write highlights of the discussion on the board.

Sign In to comment