Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Moving around and online classes

I am always curious about improving my presentations. I teach online and on grounds. I have not seen much that actually addresses online instruction. Moving around and eye contact are wonderful tools for the classroom. How can I translate what is learned to the online environment?

Walter

Boy, I agree completely with that question. I've been trying to figure out how to address a similar issue.

Hi bernie!

In another post I suggested that more real-time interaction from students must be required by instructor. On-line hs to be treated as though we were in front of the class. If they don't participate, it impacts their grade.

I know the on-line college courses that I have taken have basically been completing assignments, posting and then posting by the course facilitator. But no interaction!!!

Skype is a great way to interact in a real-time discussion. BUT - everyone has to have skype!

I do believe there are ways when thinking creatively.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

This is a good question, Walter! I've done most of my education online, and I am considering going into the online setting as an instructor as well...thanks for asking!!

Hi Elizabeth and Walter!

Please go back and take a look at the comments that I made in a post to "Bernie". This is a delimma which I believe can be addressed with enhanced technology.

Gret question and keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

I teach Algebra online. I posted a topic just a little while ago that talks about reviewing the chat archive to improve your speaking style.

When no camera is used, moving around and eye contact are not possible. I try to be animated with my voice. Students respond to friendly, casual but accurate talk. They like a little humor, especially if the instructor appears approachable and will allow himself to be the target of a humorous comment from the students.

Do NOT be afraid of making a mistake. Students love it when you correct an error, and point the finger at yourself and are "smiling" with your voice while you do it. We all learn the most from our mistakes, and this is no exception. The students listen intently when the mistake is explained and they then are much more likely to NOT make that mistake themselves.

I put up a powerpoint problem after explaining several similar problems and ask for input from the students. There is always one who is fast and accurate. After that person has shown his ability, the next time I ask him to NOT respond, since we know he understands, and then I ask the quiet ones to speak up, by name. When they do, they get a positive comment. If their input is wrong, I correct it, and another student will type something to commiserate with the student who spoke up. On the next example, the student with the wrong answer is encouraged to try again, since "I know you've got it now from the last problem, right?" They like to come back with the right answer, to prove they really are better than their last answer and I then give positive feedback. Soon, the entire group is trying to be first with their answer, so they hear some praise and their name spoken [and hopefully remembered] by the "professor" when he grades their more subjective Discussion Board posts!

Think back to your own student days; then teach to that kid/adult that you were, in a way that motivates him to listen and learn!

Sign In to comment