Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Eye contact

great for keeping student engaged

Eye contact helps keep students focused, and helps you to know if they are understanding. It also is a good classroom management tool.

Eye contact is very important builds trust and students feel the attention on the one to one basis.

Hi Cynthia, I have found also that eye contact is an excellent way to help personalize the learning environment for each student. Thanks for your observation,

Jay Hollowell
ED106 Facilitator

I agree that eye contact helps some students feel special. I try to look at students I don't know as well as others so they feel I will pay as much attention to them as the ones that I do know

I agree establishing eye contact is a great way to personalize your presentation. Eye contact help students feel appreciated and respected. It confirms to students they are important and acknowledged.

You make a good point when you mention that eye contact is also a good classroom management tool. By keeping the students engaged and feeling like they are part of the discussion, it also mimimizes management issues.

When an instructor makes and maintains eye contact with a student, it lets the student know that the instructor is aware of them and that the student must therefore pay attention. It also makes the student feel like they are part of the classromm and will then find it easier to participate in classroom discussions.

not only will eye contact show my confidence but it will bring me to a "personal, more approachable level"with the student.

Eye contact is also a way of letting each member of the classroom know that you care about them and they are your priority in that moment. Our classrooms are often the first and sometimes only place these individuals may feel like they have self-worth and are a significant part of society. On a psychological basis, eye contact is an important aspect of building, sustaining and developing healthy relationships. It lets the individual know that you think well of yourself and that they are highly regarded as well.

Eye contact also minimizes any bad behaviors and goofing around. The students know that you are paying attention everything they do.

Eye contact is very important. I had a student who would not have any eye contact with me and that student did not learn half the material the other students learned

Some students "look" for eye contact to see if the instructor has noticed them individually

Hi Danny!

I think we often over estimate the value of eye contact. Students wants to be connected with the instructor and other students in the classroom.

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

Sign In to comment