Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Memory Topics

Hello,

I have already been using some of these techniques; however, this learning unit has really emphasized their importance and brought them into focus more. For example, before teaching students to write a thesis statement, topic sentence, or body paragraph, I have students examine entire essays, since this is my ultimate goal, to have them write an entire essay. Also, before I begin my class, I write the learning objectives for the class period on the board.

Hi Carol, thanks, it's true, having students first see the big picture or overall end result of an assignment, activity, project or application helps them to better understand the individual components and how they relate together.

Jay Hollowell
ED107 Guest Facilitator

The students need to have a reason " as to what they will learn" up front ( at the beginning of class) to feel that the class will be of value. The odjectives as well as a demo at the beginning of a class, sets the pace for productive learning and students interest.
Paul Zdanis

Writing the learning objectives for the day on the board and discussing this at the start of class is vital.
The students now know WHY they are engaging in the activities of the day and how these activities link up with the objectives.
In other words, they know the PURPOSE of the assignments they are doing!
-James Moore

Hi James, excellent point! Sometimes, I also ask the students what their expectations are as to the learning outcomes of the day and then match the established objectives to that. It facilitates further buy-in and helps me to additionally adapt necessary content, applicaiotns and delivery to the group - it's amazing how close students can be in their interpretation of the deired outcomes from the lesson or application at hand.

Jay Hollowell
ED107 Guest Facilitator

Hi Paul, thanks for your comments!!

I think it gets back to the three crucial questions an adult learner asks when working with new content or applications - What is it? Why is it important? How can I apply it? The second question, that you referenced, is crucial - adult learners must see the relevance from what they are learning to their personal career objectives and needs to then buy-in and engage in the learning process.

Jay
ED107
Guest Facilitator

Hi Carol, thanks, it's true, having students first see the big picture or overall end result of an assignment, activity, project or application helps them to better understand the individual components and how they relate together.

Sign In to comment