Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online learning

So after reading this portion i get the impression that most of the learning that happens in an online course like this one is mostly written, with some visual learning as well. But what happens to us who are visual learners, or worst, Kinesthetic learners ? how do we make this online system work for us ?

Usually there is a specific time that you can chat live with the teacher. The class may have" breeze sessions " when they go over the material for the week live, many times with power points. Online learning is not for everyone ,some prefer to attend a class.

Franklin,
this is a good question. There are definitely ways to accomodate the different types of learners even in an online environment. Much of it depends on the nature of the course, how quickly it is designed to be completed, synchronous/asynchronous, etc.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Gretchen,
great statement. I actually took statistics online & it worked very well for me (I'm not a math whiz by the way). There were prerecorded lectures but the instructor had a live chat review session before every exam. You are so right that it's not for everyone.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that in order to connect with the kinesthetic learner, there needs to be a hands on assignment that will be completed on your own and then the result will be posted on line at a later time.

Brian,
this is a great idea as it can help that type of learner get up & move even when the class environment may not allow it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I recently took an online course that required the use of almost every learning style. The teacher posted video powerpoints which really helped for the visual learners. He explained everything as if we were in a classroon. It was technologically challenging but a great experience and I learned a lot.

Susan ,
yes, online learning does not have to be text only. There are many ways to engage all types of learners.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We try to teach to Vocal, Visual, Audio and Hands-On learners. It's 2012 and we are leaving out Online-Learning. It really still hasn't been implemented.

Justin ,
you are right that there is still some real work to be done in this area. Some are further along than others.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

One of the problems is copyright issues. How do you teach a film class without showing small portions of clips? On-ground, the library provides titles to films that have been cleared for us to use in class.
But I always have difficulty explaining something specific about a scene in a movie, especially when we're talking about aesthetics, without having the visual for them to see. Words aren't enough at times.
Any ideas?

Vallorie ,
you might want to do some checking as educational institutions have a little more wiggle room on copyright than corporate training.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I teach in a technical field. When the classes are complete, the students have completed over 60 on line classes. Some require them to look up answers, identify parts or watch mechinical things operate. Hands on work follows, but the basics are introduced via on line training.

Sign In to comment