Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Relaxing, Fun atmosphere

In our rooms by having a relaxing, fun atmosphere students will learn more. We all like games and to have fun, so if this is incorporated into our class room activities learning is easier, fun, and the students will retain more information.

I like to challenge another class with a game that covers the entire course at the end . the students love it

Some mellow music as the students come in during the morning helps to relax them.

Great ideas have been shared, I enjoy a fun atmosphere in the classroom. I notice that getting the students up and out of their "comfort" zone breaks down the typical stereotypes that can be filled up in all classrooms. Making them move in an order that is in tune with music is a great idea.

Thank You,
Byron

Trying to help students understand that by working in teams they are all sharing their common factorof loveforfood,will bring their creativity level (intrapersonal) and their interpersonal skills out. That way maximizing learning by having fun and sharing their ideas.

I think relaxing and fun are great concepts.....up to a point. I currently teach a 3 hr long lecture/demo class. In my experience when students get too relaxed, (despite frequent breaks) they stop taking notes and aren't quite as actively engaged.

Good perspective & reminder Scott. For me the relaxing part is helping students to feel comfortable in contributing & make them feel safe to take certain risks.
Ryan

I find it invigorating to the class as a whole by introducing humor, sometimes in the form of a movie quote or a cartoon. Dilbert can be poignantly true. The right type of situation portrayed in the humor that relates to something you are doing in the class or discussing as a topic can be a real ice-breaker for students who tend to be reticent.

roger,
I too am a big believer in humor & have found that it helps connect with the students & also does help them connect with the material better.

Dr. Ryan Meers

When students are relaxed they can learn better.

I like the idea of mixing things up with games with related material.

Sign In to comment