Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Music in the classroom

I have used music in my class's for years. Having music playing while the students are entering energizes them. Music is common for all cultures and I use it to bring students together.

Ted,
I like your emphasis on music being the uniting factor, that is a great point.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

That's such a good use of incorporating music into the classroom. I'm going to give it a try, too!

I agree, it can be a good pick me up for early morning classes. It can also set the mood for the day. depending on the type of music.

Since I teach a medical coding class and sometimes students become so overwhelmed I have allowed them to listen to music using their ear phones, and I have found out that they are improving with their answers and they are not complaining as much.

I too have used music but in my case in the lab while we are working on our projects and labs. I find playing music releases,tensions and the students relax and concentrate more on the projects.

Grace,
this is great as it shows your flexibility & willingness to work with the students to make them successful

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I use music whenever it is possible, I think learners in all age groups benefit from listening. It has definitely been a positive experience in our clinic, patients as well as students like it, instructors as well!

charlene,
it can definitely be used powerfully to help with calming nerves & even with retention of information.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I totally agree. This has been very instrumental as an ice breaker, keeping a calm atmosphere during group interaction, as well as during breaktime. When used as a tool for break, students would listen use the sound to keep them on track of their break times

Tiwauna,
I like the idea of using it in connection with breaks as its a nice way of reminding everyone to come back.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I like to use music at the beginning of class because I feel it helps to energize the students. I do not use music every week, but I would say it is close to every other week. It also depends on the group of students. Last term, I had an eight o'clock English class. One a week, we would have a dance (Cupid shuffle) to help wake us up for a period of learning.

I enjoy music in the classroom and my students do as well. It helps to create a peaceful environment.

Doretha,
music really can help calm nerves & bring a nice atmosphere.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sounds like something I need to try.

Marilyn,
it can be very helpful if used properly in the right environment.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I need to try this! Do you play it before class? At all during??

i have used musice for the excercises for the our automotive lab excercises and it creates a great atmosphere that last through out their training. Music gets played in many repair shops to create comfort and focus on their tasks.

I have used this in the past and haven't done it in a while. I will start doing this again.

I have used music in the past and have students making negative comments about the music I choose.

Sign In to comment