Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom sets the stage for learning

The preparation and time allocated for the classroom arrangement as this module suggest is so important to student learning.

The dynamics are often driven by the classroom scheduled or given to you at the start of the year.

Adjustments and creativity to use the space provided always come into play.

Ken,
I agree that shared classrooms create some additional challenges as there may be just an hour or even 15 minutes from one subject to the next. This is why I feel we must invest in our classrooms and make them universal and adaptable for multiple learning activities.
Kent

The challenge can be when the classroom is shared by another discipline. This would mean peripherals, posters conducive to my subject matter would have to be temporary and easily movable. Flip charts that are easily portable come to mind.

Kent,

Agree with totally with your comment and how the investment in classrooms are so important and the time to think about how you will move and interact with the students. Technology also comes into play in the classrooms also.

Kelly,

Great observation of how a classroom that is used by other disciplines could creat challenges in the classroom.

Great points everyone. Classrooms does set the pace for learning. It is important that the instructor prepares ahead of time to create a positive learning environment. Also if students are uncomfortable that can also affect how they pay attention.

Hello Andrea, I agree the classroom sets the stage for learning and I have found that "break out" tables for small groups is the best way to get the students focused on the case study or application activity. In this arrangement, they are 'geographically' apart from their classmates which I have found facilitates their concentration and completion of the assignment. Before splitting the students into groups, I have them pick an index card from out of an envelope and that's the group they are in. The cards are picked at random which does not give me any "control" as to who is in what group.Sometimes I have personality 'clashes' that compromise the assignment at hand. After reading Module II, I am going to try the 'color coded stickers' technique which may appear 'random' but are not and will give me the opportunity to 'control' some of the dynamics within the groups. I'll give you feedback, as I'm going to try it out in the next couple of weeks during a "break out" activity. Heather Marcincin

I like to change teh room settings at the strat of each new class,that way if any students have stop by before there class start when they show up they are in a new room to start there class.

Great comments from everyone. The classroom can make or break the success of a class. Even the most adept instructor would be seriously challenged to keep the attention of their students when delegated a "lab" room for an English class or a basic room that has been augmented with Video Teleconference, screens, Audio and other equipment.

Sign In to comment