Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

difficult students

The module talked about using because, and giving reasons. I always give a reason for what I do. I don't expect them the agree with me, but if they understand my thinking it may go a little easier. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; but I have have been favorably surprised a few times.

I have found that using the word can more often seems to help difficult students.

I'm working with difficult students at times with my online classroom. I've found that you must communicate with them consistently. I'm always trying to make sure that difficult students understand me and understand the classroom is a learning environment for the entire class and that they can not hijack the classroom with distributive behavior.

Thank You,
Ian

I find that in dealing with difficult students, it helps to relate your lessons and facts with real life situations that they can relate to and letting them be included and letting them know that their thoughts are important as well.

Yes, real life stories are always good for all students. But they are especially helpful with those students who are struggling or are difficult as it helps them connect the material to real life. It helps them see the "so what" of the content.
Ryan

I agree, I like to follow logique point of view, and try to tel my student that every thing is done for a reason, and if it doesn't make sense, someting must be wrong, and it make them understand why they are learning, and how it's going to help them...

I totally agree. Most of my business students are real world oriented. If we can refocus by using anecdotal info that realates to some negative happening, it just might get them more involved.

Yes, providing the "why" or helping our students to see the "why" behind what they're learning is a key issue.
Ryan

True. And I like to start off with the scenario, story & leave them hanging. I've found that this engages them & helps pull them into the learning & then we can discuss the situation as we go along & really dig into analysis.
Ryan

I find my students really like real world comparisons. We use case studies alot...so we incorporate a lot of classes into one "story/case"

Lynn,
I am a huge fan of case studies myself & find that the really do help all the students to be able to connect the concepts to real life.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree, working with difficult students is a bit challenging so I do liket to use real life scenarios or even role play at times. I like to give the students examples of circumstances that they may encounter out in the work place.

I find role playing,and sharing from my experiences from being "behind the chair" are really helpful to keeping attention of the students and getting the point across. I usually ask questions pertaining to what has just been said or "acted out" in order for the students to understand themselves and recognize what they may want to accomplish when they begin actually working in the salon.

I find role playing,and sharing from my experiences from being "behind the chair" are really helpful to keeping attention of the students and getting the point across. I usually ask questions pertaining to what has just been said or "acted out" in order for the students to understand themselves and recognize what they may want to accomplish when they begin actually working in the salon.

shanon,
the more we can share these experiences with our students, the more they will connect with the material.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Yes I agree as well and also having the students do group acftivities and working together is a great way to promote a positive environment.

Sign In to comment