Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Prejudging the abilities of a student

My experience has made me a better instructor, I have had students that when they came into my class I put them into a slow learner catagory. When in fact they have proven me wrong. Given the proper approach and the excellerated learning techniques I have learned, Only what the learner can reproduce has been learned, Hands on, auditory, visual, stimulation throughout all demonstrations. Demos done Instructor led Student performed demos. Entire class open to questions and movement to gain better visual of projects.With all of this I have seen more success with my students as well as less damage to training aids. The funny thing is how often that prejudged student jumps up to shine in the class.

Hellon Donald,

Great assessment and I couldn't agree more!

Jane Davis
FD107 Facilitator

Donald,

I grew up during a time that some students actually flunked a grade. One student, a year older than myself, flunked third grade, and was now a member of my class. And as we progressed through the grades, he was always placed in the "slow learner" group.

Many years later I learned that student went to med school and was a very respected, successful doctor.

More evidence to your point.

Glenn

When I first started to teach I found myself prejudging the students ability before they had a chance to prove themselves. Now I make it a point to challenge all the students so I can make a real evalutaion of them.

never pre-judge students abilities

Good morning William!

I totally agree! I think we have all been guilty of prejudging students abilities. How do you think - since we all have human imperfections - we can prevent prejudging?

I believe that you are off to a good start in answering my questioning by recognizing that pejudging does take place.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I try not to prejudge my students but at times I find I expect more from students with prior military training .This is an judgement based only on prior experience. Not a very sound practice since I have no knowledge of their past .Sometimes a student with no practical experience is my best learner.Other times one excells in lab but not in the classroom.

Good monring James!

I, too, find myself having higher expectations of certai groups of students, but, as you have realized, I don't necessarily get the expected outcomes. How have you adjusted those expectations?

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

In the first few years of my twenty years at this institution, I learned to overcome being pre-judgemental of the students. I have learned first impressions are usually way off base. Now before forming an opinion, I carefully observe the students over-all performance during the class participation, Instructor led demo's. These demo's are a good all around experience for the students, terrific understanding of the expected assignments,as well as a valuable gauge of over-all attitude for me. I have found the least likely students to be some of the most willing and eager to learn participants. This is also a way of quickly learning which students are not as highly motivated,and will require special techniques.

I believe that I do not prejudge and I hope that I am correct. (I make a concentrated effort to evaluate my teaching techniques so that I could learn and improve and I have yet to encounter this). When I encounter slow learners, I become a champion for their success.

Hi Judy!

HOORAH for you - I would be delighted to be a student in your classroom.

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I feel the same way as you do; unfortunately, many times, we as Educators, need to decipher the underlying cause of why a student isn't grasping the information faster than they are. Is it the vocabulary that I am using, is it the age of the student, is it because of the education the student has had or does not have? I believe that showing interest in the student by building their confidence one step at a time works very well. This allows you to have a foundation from where you can grow and build upon and continue with their learning process beyond their expectations. Where would we be if our Instructors had prejudged us incorrectly?

Hi Lawrence!

I totally agree! As the old addege says, "a book should never be judged by its cover".

I know that your students appreciate your approach. Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

When I first started teaching I really had a bad habit of pre judging my students. I was always wrong in some way or another. The students always surprised me when the were in production time, that time tends to let the "cat" out of the bag. Sauces came out better from the students who looked like they were not paying attention. I think I cam to see my fault when my mother reminded me that I was placed in the slow learner category when I was young but I was very bright, I just had dyslexia. It wasnt till a teacher took a second look at my tests and it was discoverd. After that I did great in main stream classes.

It is hard not to prejudge students. Some are so very eager to learn and others are just taking up space. After the first two weeks you can generally tell if they are going to make it or not. Some students actually cry because they are so overwhelmed. I try so hard to encourage them, by taking with them, showing them that I care about their issues, etc. The food industry is a hard business. Takes a great deal of stamina.

Good morning Diane!

I totally agree with your observation. But isn't it gratifying when we are proven wrong once in a while. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the light come on in a student's eyes.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Now that I have been educating students in a classroom environment versus on the job training, I have realized that everyone has the ability to learn given the tools to succeed. No one ever should be placed in the "Slow Catergory" regardless of education or if they are "older" and need more attention. I agree, everyone is equal and able to learn if the environment is set up to be on an equal playing ground.

I made the mistake of prejudging a student in my earlier years as an educator. He was the class clown and would never take his studies seriously. However, when he finally advanced to the lab setting, he proved to be a "natural". I figured out he truly enjoyed what he was doing, therefore he excelled in that area.

I'll admit that I have prejudged students in the past. Also without knowing until now, I've exhibited the Pygmalion Effect. I would expect the good students to do well, and the bad students to do poorly. Thankfully that is no longer my style. My approach is to expect the best from everyone. As educators, we know how rewarding it is when we can help a struggling student become successful. Prejudging hinders your students.

Sign In to comment