Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

use tests as reinforcement of what you've taught

I want my students to remember the important things we discuss. My test questions reflect this.

Hi Patrick,
I agree with you 100% I do the same with my students and they get good grades of course when they study for the test.

My test also reflect every thing that is taught in the class, they can review from the power points that are shown and I also review orally with them before each test.

I AGREE WITH YOUR COMMENTS, I THINK IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WHAT'S BEING TAUGHT IS UNDERSTOOD BY THE STUDENTS, AND BY REVIEWING THE MATERIAL AND ISSUING TESTS ON THE TOPIC MATTERS, IT INCREASES THE CHANCES THAT THE STUDENTS ARE ACQUIRING THE KNOWLEDGE TO SUCCEED IN THE FIELD.

I agree with you Patrick, students must understand what is being discussed and should also be given a review of topics covered prior to test. As part of their review, they can also engage in a question and answer session so that important information is retained.

Are you teaching the test or are you teaching information they should learn? There is a difference. Not only should we teach information they need to learn, we also need to break it down so they have an understanding of how the thing works and what can affect it. I've seen too many times where students come into my classroom and I begin to go into a subject that they should have seen in other classes, I find out that they were not given in-depth information. They were given just enough to pass the class. A lot of times I have to spend time in clarifying misinformation or going back over information to bring the student up to a working knowledge to set a back ground of what we are now discussing. Keith

I agree. Teaching the test is not the way to go. Teaching the information the students need to know and not the answers they need to know is a much better approach. Presenting a review test early in the course may help you to find out what information your students have retained from thier previous courses. I think doing this in the first few days can benifit my students as well as myself. GREAT POINT! Thanks

My tests reflect the lesson as well as cognitive thinking. we go over the tests and I let the students know what they missed. We then quickly see where they based their decision to make an answer on the test. This usually clears and uncertainty os the subject.

This is very true, in some class situations
homework and other assignments are so narrow
in their focus that while the students get
the information for the tests, the additional
information they need to do the job is only
breifly covered in class because it is not
required to pass. For this reason I always
do detailed reveiws of homework and other
assignments to be sure the students get and
retain all that they need not just enough
to pass the test.

You are a very caring instructor Stephen! The bottom line in Career Education is not that they pass our clases but rather - can they perform in the workplace? Do you try to add the additional info you mentioned ?

I agree when we are reviewing questions for a test we answer together as a class and any missed
questions we go over together. I ask students who missed why they picked the answer they did and then we find the the answer and then go over how to better prepare for tests.

Challenging the class with forming exam questions, or at least with clearly identifying topics for a test, has been a helpful instructional device. The process of summarizing, prioritzing, &c., needed for choosing and clarifying questions, seems to help
students frame the information and ideas. Test topics sheets are distributed to the class based on the class discussions.

Hi Michael - Thanks for your post to the forum. You do a great job helping your students to prepare for tests. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Tests can concentrate knowledge to what is most important in a chapter and keep centered on the highlights.

Sign In to comment