Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Questioning - these rare and uncomfortable situations

Once in a while we all encounter a student who just does not "get it", not matter what.
What approach do you take with a student who clearly has not understood the subject matter, and keeps on asking the same questions over and over after you have offered several explanations?
In the meantime, other students find these questions annoying, if not ridiculous.

Do you offer to continue explanations after class? Sometimes my students would attempt to re-explain, but not always does it work.

I do not want to discourage the student, but at the same time, I cannot focus on this one student when everybody else has obviously mastered the subject matter.

Please, share!

I would definitely set a time to meet with the student outside of class. Sometimes the student may have a learning disability that they would not want to discuss among their peers.

Hi Angnes I would meet with the student individually, and follow the levels of learning behavior of the student.

Agnes,
I actually had this very thing happen in my class. What I had suggested to the student was to bring in a recorder and tape the lecture. This allowed the student to bring home the information and listen to it when he was ready to absorb the information. What I didn't realize was.... at the same time, the student also was able to hear the questions he was asking in class. The first thing out of his mouth on Monday morning was...."Ms. I really asked some stupid questions." I never once told him that his questions were stupid or were not important, but it was nice to hear that he finally understood why the rest of the class was getting irritated.

I have told my classes that they may bring in a recorder or a video camera and tape my lectures and I have had to meet outside of class with those certain students who just don't get it. The different techniques can also lessen or even elevate these rare and uncomfortable situations.

Agnes,

Since I work at the same campus with you, maybe my solitions can be a but more target specific. When I have a student who is slowing down the entire class with questions, I remind him or her that there is help available in the Resource Lab (for us, the ERL). I have found that students like knowing that there is someone to work with in a one-on-one setting. If they are truly searching for answers, they should be willing to put in time for extra help.

I have had students who have issues like what you describe. Aside from the resource lab, I like to direct them to a website that can explain the ideas in a different way. I also like for them to ask someone new, preferably another instructor--rarely a student--and look for a different explanation. Sometimes looking for a completely different way to explain the ideas is what the student needs to understand the material.

Personally, I ask the student which lesson would they think to find the answer. If they don't know I would steer them in the right direction. Plus, I make sure I have many visual and physical props to help. This seems to reenforce the subject to other students.

Hi Timothy- Welcome to ED 103! Asking if they know where they might find the answer also gives you a better idea of whther the student is really lost on the subject at hand. Good technique!

When I encounter a student who is struggling with subject matter, sometimes they will be given an extra assignment in addition to their homework to help reinforce concepts that were used during lecture. This allows the entire class to flow through all of our course objectives. The extra assignment is small and specialized. Student is expected to re-cap all information the following week.

Hi Agnes-

Sometimes (not all the time), it can be constructive to allow the other students in class to explain the concept. Sometimes that helps. Other times I find that the student's inability to understand is connected to issues that are beyond my power to address with instructional techniques. In that case, we just have to move on and try to address the fundamental issue with the individual student.

i usually talk to the student one on one. or if we are in class i try rewording my lesson. if that doesnt work first i look at age/gender of student and try to turn what we are discussing into something they can relate to. like when talking about electrical but instead talk about it like a garden hose and water. usually when they apply said discussion to there real world it ususally but not always works

Sign In to comment