Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

All Questions

There are some instructors who will not answer any questions after they have gone over it with students. Is there any point to this? Or is just a way to control the class?

Often students who may have missed class or not paid attention will insist on re-asking questions. But sometimes a student may legitimately not have understood the information. Instructors, of course are eager to stay on task and get through the new material. A good instructor will make arrangements to meet with the confused student after or before class to review what they did not get.

Susan, you are absolutely correct; unfortunately, there is no single magical formula for motivating students. Many factors affect a given student's motivation to work and to learn. It is also imperative that the students have interest in the subject matter, perception of its usefulness, general desire to achieve, self-confidence and self-esteem, as well as patience and persistence. And, of course, not all of our students are motivated by the same values, needs, desires, or wants.

I dont have a problem answering questions if someone is truly confused/doesn't understand. If they are just too lazy to use the resources at hand or have no interest in the material I think they need to re-evaluate why they are in school. My job is to teach and instruct, not to be a "yes" man. In our industry there may not be anyone to help you out if you don't understand something. It's imperative to learn to be self-sufficient.

Absolutely! The trick then is to be able to accurately pick is confused or just taking advantage of you.
rw

If a student misses a class it can be very difficult to reteach an entire 5 hour class period. I do believe there should be some conciquence to them missing this class time. They need to actually be motivated to learn the information they missed.

I never refuse to answer a question myself. Even if I have answered the same question 5 times already, I will gladly re-answer myself, or have a fellow student that has been keeping up answer for me. You can never put the same info out there too many times. Repetition is retention.

The problem with constantly answering the same question is students will learn 'parrot fahion' often without actually understanding what the concepts are.
They may learn to give correct answer but it does not aid them in problem solving.
As I teach later courses I try and ask questions which references material which has not only been coverd in my class but courses have been previously passed which allowed student to 'move on' to later courses. If necessary I will draw diagrams or find pictures/powerpoint/training aids to illustrate points which students did not understand.
PJ

Hi Peter - you are wisely teaching your students to think critically, to explore beyond the immediate question and corresponding correct answer. This is a skill they will find valuable their entire lives!

I am always eager to answer questions. Often I will respond by asking the student questions until they come up with the answer thy are looking for.I found it helps with retention of info and the other students stay engaged.

I am also eager to answer questions as it allows me the opportunity to better understand how I may be approaching the teaching of the class.

Sign In to comment